OK LOOK... Its simple...

The place to bring up any design issues, or post your own creations

Moderator: Moderator Team

PLowran

OK LOOK... Its simple...

Post by PLowran »

This OS can be great. I have had a hard time with it, in face i have to install win2k or WinXP and copy all the drivers before I install so i can have a good OS.
obviously that the reason for the extremely small size...Look at Win 3x...
NOW...
I want a NT System, Free, Like this that would work great in the GNU system, Free To The People, but yet look nice
The OS seems to work quite well, but, THE GUI!
I think in the few years past I have said, We need this Great OS to incorporate KDE, or at least any other descent GUI Gnome or XFCE at the most, so at least we can have some graphical fun with this.
If the OS works why not take the bland Windows 9x GUI and Upgrade it to something thats worth looking at.
This is not a hit against ROS just what I feel is a good Idea
Haos
Test Team

Post by Haos »

That`s not the problem. As soon as the win32 part is good enough and KDE is ported to Windows, you are free to install KDE or any other windows-compatible gui. We will make sure all windows-compatible stuff works properly, mark my words.
Reacter

Post by Reacter »

(there is a whole other thread about this.) Before we play with KDE's, GNOME's, XFCE's, or (name here)'s GUI, lets make sure we can handle doing so. DOSStart works in ROS DosBox!
More ReactOS, please!
.aart3k

Post by .aart3k »

GNOME XFCE anre unix dedicated and i dont know anything about windows porting efforts of these whole desktop env's

kde will port some things and it will work with ROS. idea about incorporating kde is great, but it will not be done here at base ros os. there propably be some distros based on ros'es kernel + win32 running kde and other interesting stuff.

if you are interested, @PLowran learn how to make uxtheme skins for windows, these will work with ros. and we have no native ros icons.
Nmn

Post by Nmn »

Desktop environments are not part of the Operating System. You might argue about this due to the fact Linux distributions include them. Obviously, every distribution ever made can't have its own in house GUI environment. Plus, Linux users often vary in taste related to the points of the GUI which are more important and how dialogs and environments are designed. ReactOS is trying to cater to those who agree with the Windows design. With that being said, I wouldn't mind any Linux friendly features like ability to run Linux binaries, emulate X11, or just run the Windows KDE binaries easily (which KDE4 will ease the requirements of, including those of Cygwin) in no particular order of importance. I think that if the kernel developers integrated Line (that one Linux Binary loader with support for Standard IO that ran in Windows) I would have to put all of my Microsoft cds in my microwave ;)
Reacter

Post by Reacter »

I remember LINE... Windows was the first CD I toasted in a Microwave in the first place, after the system it ran got ROS 0.3.0 instead of Windows XP.
More ReactOS, please!