New picture for the ReactOS download page?

The place to bring up any design issues, or post your own creations

Moderator: Moderator Team

artguy10

New picture for the ReactOS download page?

Post by artguy10 »

Wondering if a new/updated/modified picture for the ReactOS download page would be in order.

[ external image ]

Old one was JPG, unusual perspective, non-current version.
[ external image ]

(If you want, I suppose I could upload my original SVG to Wikipedia?)
GreatLord
Developer

Post by GreatLord »

It look cool
dreams

Post by dreams »

It's huge! Make it a bit smaller for the download page. :wink:
EmuandCo
Developer

Post by EmuandCo »

I like it. This as a cover would rock
ReactOS is still in alpha stage, meaning it is not feature-complete and is recommended only for evaluation and testing purposes.

If my post/reply offends or insults you, be sure that you know what sarcasm is...
forart

Post by forart »

Like it but, again, putting the version number is non so good idea.

"alpha" (then beta, etc...) would be better, IMHO.
»Forward Agency NPO
In progress we (always) trust.
GreatLord
Developer

Post by GreatLord »

if the version number are in a layer in svg file
it is extream easy to change.
or any tyoe of the text
mf
Developer

Post by mf »

There is a downloadable PDF of that cover. You really didn't have to do all that work to imitate it. Also, this "unusual perspective" is just a nice 3d render. The 2-dimensional version is available here. I really think it's a better idea (and less work) to simply ask me (the author of the respective images) to change the version number. Also, SVG is not some holy grail. For webpages, JPEG still works wonders.
It compiles, let's ship it!
artguy10

Post by artguy10 »

I had no idea where the original file is, or who the author was. If you want to change the number, there isn't a need for another file. But I call the perspective "unusual" because it is based near the bottom of the CD package, and mainly because it is tilted away from the center of the page. Flat on would be fine, but if you make a 3-D perspective, it should aim toward the inside of the page.

JPEG is very nice, but png is better. SVG source is good for making it easy for anyone to change it. (If the svg was on the Wikipedia article, anyone could access it, BTW, and get the appropriate size.)

If there is no real official CD package, I don't see the problem with the imitation (it didn't really take much time, probably less than it would to find the original). But where is the PDF vector of the image and cover?

So what's the deal? Should I change the version number to "Alpha" and give a smaller PNG, or should mf change the perspective and version number?
.aart3k

Post by .aart3k »

I really liked this "unusual" perspective, but PNG makes your cover, artguy10, look... high definition :)
ReactOS logo on top of site could be made also with PNG.
mf
Developer

Post by mf »

artguy10 wrote:If there is no real official CD package, I don't see the problem with the imitation (it didn't really take much time, probably less than it would to find the original). But where is the PDF vector of the image and cover?
Actually, it's right there on the download page. If you scroll down it says:
[ external image ]

As we have already concluded before, there is no cover for 0.3.3 yet (actually there is, but it isn't on reactos.org yet), so the link takes you to the 0.3.1 cover. But still, I wouldn't call that really hard to find. I'll try to get a 3d render of the new 0.3.3 cover along with the PDF and PNG up on reactos.org later today.
artguy10

Post by artguy10 »

Oh, I just needed to look. :roll:

So that would be great! And maybe say "Alpha" instead of "0.3.3" so you don't have to change it for a year or two? And can it face inward (to the page it is on)? And in PNG also, right?

:D
mf
Developer

Post by mf »

artguy10 wrote:So that would be great! And maybe say "Alpha" instead of "0.3.3" so you don't have to change it for a year or two? And can it face inward (to the page it is on)? And in PNG also, right?

:D
Well, I originally wanted it to face the other way, but the problem is, that you wouldn't see the back of the booklet that way. You'd see the gripper where you open the case. So I'm sort of undecided on that. I might change the angle, I might not. And PNG is entirely useless, as the image is only there for cosmetic purposes, thus a slight bit of JPEG lossiness to help the poor folks on slower internet connections doesn't hurt one bit.
artguy10

Post by artguy10 »

mf wrote:Well, I originally wanted it to face the other way, but the problem is, that you wouldn't see the back of the booklet that way. You'd see the gripper where you open the case. So I'm sort of undecided on that. I might change the angle, I might not. And PNG is entirely useless, as the image is only there for cosmetic purposes, thus a slight bit of JPEG lossiness to help the poor folks on slower internet connections doesn't hurt one bit.
I can see that about jpeg. I don't think it would be horrible to see the gripper, but how about placing it on the other side of the page?
Z98
Release Engineer

Post by Z98 »

Layout of the web page is not made by mf, they're made by frik85, the web admin.
artguy10

Post by artguy10 »

Well, for what it's worth:
[ external image ]