Future Start Menu

The place to bring up any design issues, or post your own creations

Moderator: Moderator Team

How would you like the Start Menu design (not counting icons)?

Just like the way it is now
24%
Similar to the Windows XP or Vista menu
38%
Who needs Windows? - A new ReactOS style Start Menu which blows Windows out of the water! (please post specifics)
38%

Total votes: 112

Haos
Test Team

Post by Haos »

Now, i have no idea if ROS will be shipped with custom UI themes or not, and to be honest, i dont care. The situation is similar with screensavers, why should we bundle additional s-savers, when one, "blank" is enough?

Possibly it`s enough, same as standard UI is sufficient, but if someone makes a few nice UI`s or screensavers, will it REALLY hurt to bundle them with ROS? I can stand some hundreds of kB being used by it...
cppm

Post by cppm »

Possibly it`s enough, same as standard UI is sufficient, but if someone makes a few nice UI`s or screensavers, will it REALLY hurt to bundle them with ROS? I can stand some hundreds of kB being used by it...
*sigh*

:roll:

I suppose if you make it a build time option it wouldn't make much difference...

Still, it jars with my sense of how open source projects work, ReactOS has really been the exception to the rule so far, usually it's small tools that do one thing really well, strung together through cool design. But i suppose it's the effect of living up to the windows world.[/quote]
betaluva

Post by betaluva »

i dont understand this "bare bones os" ethos that some open source/linux people have, when you buy a automobile,do you remove the air conditioning,the seats, the cd player ,etc so that the car is a bare bones vehicle? no, because its nice to have those things,so why not include them in a os as well, *this is not directed at cppm only,its a general question.
cppm

Post by cppm »

I have no isssue with a full featured OS.
Point in case - In general I'd much rather use Ubuntu, with all it's fancy stuff, than use something like DamnSmall linux. (although each situation calls for it's own approach) And windows XP is IMO a acceptable, stable OS when used sensibly, even if many things are suboptimal.

I just find it so strange that one project (ReactOS) does so much towards the end product, it seems almost unique amongst opensource projects that i've seen. I just feel i should mention this when people start talking of 'official' start menu's.
Haos
Test Team

Post by Haos »

Its simple: everyone does what he is capable of. Not everyone can code kernel, drivers, userland, win32k etc. It`s not like we`re sacrificing internals for uxtheme... which you seem to accuse us of.
cppm

Post by cppm »

:shock: :(
I don't mean to accuse anyone, just an idea.
Needless to say i've replied to each one of the replies to my original post.

And I don't feel as if any of them have quite understood the point. So i think i'll try to sum it up.

'Official', I feel, implies a certain authority over the inclusion, that seems to go against the free software principle of, free to create derivative works

But maybe that's just me. If there's any more suggestions about start menu design let's here em. I think my rant about Official start menu's is really about bigger issues and not really for discussion here. Yet.
betaluva

Post by betaluva »

Reactos.s one official start menue is not MSs version of one official start menue (which i think is what your implying) you will still be able to add your own themes, gui,s etc. there has to be one offical start menue for continuity, if there wasnt you would have 10 different projects working seperatly from each other and reactos would never be completed.
Smiley
Developer

Post by Smiley »

I can't understand the point of this discussion.
Currently the shell and the graphics subsystem barely works.
This makes impossible to talk right now about theming support or changing the start menu.
And another problem is that there is not much man power, so the developers have other priorities
I believe that people should discuss these things after a beta version is out
FSX

Post by FSX »

betaluva wrote:i dont understand this "bare bones os" ethos that some open source/linux people have, when you buy a automobile,do you remove the air conditioning,the seats, the cd player ,etc so that the car is a bare bones vehicle? no, because its nice to have those things,so why not include them in a os as well, *this is not directed at cppm only,its a general question.
It's a lot harder to add those things to a car than screensavers and alternate shells to a open-source OS.
betaluva

Post by betaluva »

wtf? i think you better read my post again.
Sand

Post by Sand »

I would like a menu similar to classical theme in Windows. Not like it is now of course.
oiaohm

Post by oiaohm »

betaluva Think dune buggy. No air con no radio sometimes no doors or roof.

Other one to think of is the car called the atom. Its basically bar bones 4 cylinder engine that can out race most 12 cylinder engines.

Both bat out of hell cars. Exactly what ros is something that is cut for speed and memory and disk usages. Bare bones.
Blackcrack

Post by Blackcrack »

Oky, Peoples,

why not so :

enabling for make a old Win95/W2k Style, without Theme with Bitmap or theme
enabling for make a old Win95/W2k Style, with Theme with Bitmap or theme
enabling for make a WinXP Style, without Theme with Bitmap or theme
enabling for make a WinXP Style, with Theme with Bitmap or theme
enabling for make a Vista Style, without Theme with Bitmap or theme
enabling for make a Vista Style, with Theme with Bitmap or theme

so be all afraid ;)

make Pease and love *jump* flowers* sheeeeeessssss*

hihi.. oky a little more programmer work, but
it's then.. a evergreen.. and make no problems.. bahh..
why enabling one, why not enabling more as one..

so as plugin.. !!!!

all in the GUI and Interface shold
be so programmed (so like a Revel plasik ;) or Total Commander )
and.. why not, so can make any programmer programms
for Reactos and it is not Boundaries on the way..
how mus running...

dont think how Microsoft, think how a Pirat ;)
think about the manny programms who you
are had in the Fingers ;)
and it shold start the flexibility not in the Gui,
shold start in the programm code.. start to make
enhancements and extra api's for it now..
better as the programmers of MS can make ;)
You, you are Programmers can it now make ;)

Think like a painter, a blank canvas before him,
and is thrilled at the idea of what he wants to
paint and this is a picture Reactos with all its Fasettes ...

greetings
Blackcrack
Sand

Post by Sand »

I dont think we need copy XP/Vista style. What we need is classical (w2k) style plus original ReactOS theme.
betaluva

Post by betaluva »

i dont know what other people but i think "the orb" looks stupid and "glass" is damn annoying when you have multiple windows open, i vote for the win2k style.