Future Start Menu

The place to bring up any design issues, or post your own creations

Moderator: Moderator Team

How would you like the Start Menu design (not counting icons)?

Just like the way it is now
24%
Similar to the Windows XP or Vista menu
38%
Who needs Windows? - A new ReactOS style Start Menu which blows Windows out of the water! (please post specifics)
38%

Total votes: 112

Blackcrack

Post by Blackcrack »

Hy Peoples..

therefor i had say it.. make modular to have for
every user him Menu how he like it.. it shold be all in Ros Modular..
to make more as one Way to feel and look.. lile kde and like Win311 ;)

and anybody like his own Desktop.. this is the one.. the own Desktop.. how it like by User and Industry, easy and good for Work AnD SkInAbLe for the moste User and Peoples how want see his own look.... i had say, dont tink how microsoft.. think like a Pirate ;) or a Linuxuser *biiiggriin*

greetz
Blacky
FSX

Post by FSX »

Blackcrack wrote:Hy Peoples..

therefor i had say it.. make modular to have for
every user him Menu how he like it.. it shold be all in Ros Modular..
to make more as one Way to feel and look.. lile kde and like Win311 ;)

and anybody like his own Desktop.. this is the one.. the own Desktop.. how it like by User and Industry, easy and good for Work AnD SkInAbLe for the moste User and Peoples how want see his own look.... i had say, dont tink how microsoft.. think like a Pirate ;) or a Linuxuser *biiiggriin*

greetz
Blacky
Wait, what?

For all we know, the final ROS will look like Win2000 mostly. And that is not a bad thing.

As for skinning, ROS possible skinning, even now > Windows skinning.
Blackcrack

Post by Blackcrack »

Hy FSX,

waiting.. for what ?

As you should have noticed, or not, will
startmenu each other, and there are several ways
A startmenu to have, so then rather than flexible
Only a wise ...

it isnt every skinning.. the wrong think... it shold be modular to programming speyifics, differently menus to put it in one
part of the time to fit other, the possibility to give more
fasetts to create ..

greetings
Blacky
Smiley
Developer

Post by Smiley »

FSX wrote: Wait, what?

For all we know, the final ROS will look like Win2000 mostly. And that is not a bad thing.

As for skinning, ROS possible skinning, even now > Windows skinning.
You can't be sure that ROS will look like Win2000. It's still 0.3.3 version. There is too much time till version 0.5 or 1.0
Z98
Release Engineer

Post by Z98 »

We can be fairly sure, actually. Most of the developers are Windows 2000 loyalists and quite frankly, the most I'd expect them to budge is to make it more like the XP start menu. And we've been over this multiple times. There are no plans to radically change the user interface any time soon and is unlikely we would change it too much in the future anyways.
Blackcrack

Post by Blackcrack »

Hy Z98,

ummm.... oky, not radical changing, only get a way to change the
menu and can say witch menu-dll to using :) easy.. i think.. by my
nowing over the old testing times *bs* and there dont mus changing
radical, no, only a extension witch dll is using or so? *s* or Z98?
Last edited by Blackcrack on Sun Nov 25, 2007 12:19 pm, edited 2 times in total.
cppm

Post by cppm »

blacky appears to be on the right track

a menu module somewhere in the OS, with an ability to install new versions and 'hotswap' them during runtime built into the explorer module would make it much easier to implement and customize, making a lot of the issues over the 'right' menu interface dissolve into insignificance (though those who wish will still argue)

It's all about customisability baby, people will want to change things, and the project is in a position to make provisions for that.

And ideally this attitude should be extended throughout the OS at some point in the future.
FlyingIsFun1217

Post by FlyingIsFun1217 »

Z98 wrote:There are no plans to radically change the user interface any time soon and is unlikely we would change it too much in the future anyways.
Wouldn't it be about as easy as downloading a .msstyle?

FlyingIsFun1217
Blackcrack

Post by Blackcrack »

Hy :)

i think shold be like the same .. a little proggy in .dll-style
you grab a http or ftp adress where be at end a .rosstyle file, like a downloader, and the same one make a managingwindow to delete, use
and edit(with a extended dll ) to make themes-files with addons, the one can be like msstyle version of it 2.0 ;) like deathslowly 4.0 ;) ( death slow, i dont now how the name of it in english *s*) and shold be supported not only msstyles, no, this one shold be a zip-pack with extensions and the name can be like s :

themename-1.0-2.0.zip
themename-version of theme- the theme/editor-version of the Ros-themer

1. to know what a theme, thethemename
2. to know what a version of the theme
3. to know what a themer-version of Ros(this is crewl, to get the themer-poples stuff and floor to make the DoPe ;))

and of the end of it can named

theme-1.0-2.0.rosstyle

inside of it, msstyle-file, dll's for make extendet, backgroundname.png
and a rostheme.inf-file to set collors, key's and switches

the msstyle-file to use furter the old, but very good theme-files ;)

the same can be wit the Shellextenshions, can be dll's and cpl to make direcktly in the system and anabling to send direckt in the control.exe...
wit a cpl can customacing themes, like desk.cpl, but a very extesion version of it ;) hehehe.. and with a DLL can binding in a editor for
the msstyle-zips

and the same is with shellextensions.. it is SP3 for XP out and i dont have
the Address bar anymore, it's gone an maked disabled by f$%%&$ MS..

i say ooky,think like a Pirate.. the WWW is wiiiiiddeee an a very biiiiggg
Harddist.. let search ;) harhar...

oky, i had fount a "Address" bar and had dispacking/decompressing it or
how i can say it Shellbar and had take them stuff directly to a silenceinstallation for my XP-Home-CD in $OEM$-Folder

it#s a easy regsrv32 -snapin, 2 dll's and a ocx to enabling a shellbar..
and for this one can make a cpl to handle it as extensions to install and
make groups, like Desktop-tools, System-tools, Network-tools,
Net-admin-tools, Services, Service-tools,service-admin-tools and so furter...Managing with a CPL like Total-commander-Configuration a Manager who can enhanced with dlll's who be register and by Start of this dll-manager search all dll's (The computers be very fast now) who make his own Tree as interactive by reading the DLL's where evolutioning a System-dll-tree by implementing of cpl's and dll's active and get not only a System-control, it get a System-controller who's read by start the installed dll's and check the Opportunities of the DLL's and can show it to enabling or disabling and this can take a second regestry like regestry user.dat and system.dat it can be a snap.dat who ca be readonly (maked by admin) to save using in Factorys and readywrite by Private use or Administrating by passwd of a admin and this can be a next regkey [HKEY_SNAP] or inside of [HKEY_USERS].DEFAULT/Snapin but, if evolutioning this ide will be a very biiig path gone, therewith it is better to make his ony path for the mashin inside of [HKEY_SNAPIN] to can evolutioning and gone bigger and a easyer way to find reg-keys for snapins and it make ROS his own way and the other big-f%$§-Factory mus look to the Standart of ROS and not his own... the Users and programmers say it what to make and not 1 - 2, 20 or 50 Peoples.. brrhh..
We all to have the Opportunities to creating and inserting in the System
as snapin and cpl ;) that's the Opportunities what WE have and not a only one Factory ;) .....i say it again and ever, think like Pirate, human using... a interface to can evolutioning a shell to be can be more as a shell .... easy, a System to can go be more as only a PC-System, later can easy inserting a AI to can handle that.. oky, i be fligh realy high now, but think about ... not so wrong that i think.. or ? think, noot only, this is the next step.. only, Pirate, think Future..
that's the next way ...

Before their dispute now about whether I was right or did not make a try,
what can you invade, ideas I have now delivered enough, makes a try;),
I let myself be surprised ...

And I bet it is devilishly good *harharhar*

your
Blacky
b4dc0d3r

Post by b4dc0d3r »

I assume explorer.exe will work just as it does in Windows, providing both the shell functions and the "file manager"? In other words, if you kill "explorer.exe" because the file manager is hung, it will kill the shell. Not that this is a good design, but that it's how Win does it. Explorer-new seems to work this way already, the rest of this post assumes it will be true.

My point is, making the shell modular has always seemed a bit of a bad idea. I have had bad luck with some of Windows own shell extensions, lots of bad luck with third party extensions.

In my opinion, simple theming like Win XP has would be fine, but I have never used it - I assume it is minimally useful. More advanced theming or enhancements would be better handled by replacement shells like SharpE or LiteStep, or similar. Assuming ROS follows Win design, these shell replacements will work eventually. Why have ROS development team implement something when these alternatives already exist? LiteStep development has kinda slowed, because it is already pretty mature, and because people have figured out how to hack XP theming, but it could be used as-is, or assisted, or even forked if someone feels that strongly (or for Vista changes - it has not been updated since Vista).

I would not want the initial user experience of ROS to say "WTF this doesn't look anything like windows, how is it going to run my accounting software?"

Maybe there needs to be another forum area for "Things to think about once the damn thing actually works"? :lol:
Z98
Release Engineer

Post by Z98 »

SharpE isn't written in C. It's written in Delphi.
Blackcrack

Post by Blackcrack »

b4dc0d3r ,

this.. modular, is the f... Point *bg*
Modular, running in the backround a silent
dll-manager, who handle them dll's who creating a Workshell,
not the dll-manager is get the shell, no, the peasees of dll's creating a
Desktop and if one hangs, call the Treadmanager and kill the one dll..
or be automated to kill the only one dll of the puzzle of Desktop of dll's..
that's the Point of the way.. not the "Explorer hangs.. only one dll hangs who
be handled of a manager to see if it's hangs anf then kill automatical the task
and restart it, so cant hanging the full system, only a dll and this one can
automatical killed and restart the dll one.. so mus it run, how in Linux..
but with a Win32/64 System .. one system, a X-Server and a Modular
Desktop so and this can use later to take other Desk's .. who whant the
Users and can make a realy easy Win31 Desk, Win95 desk, Win200 and
XP Desk, with modular dll's who cant crash direcktly the full system, only
one or two dll's of the Desk... and i think, this is the best way to get the
Users a realy stabiel System by hand who can update every dll as pease
and in them one can be the reginfo's who t patch and therewith can easyer
updating the system and anyone can programming his own System/Desktop
if can programming.. the DLL-Handler with more as one treads
(for secure and selfchecking) by side of Kernel to run the
System of win32 od 64 bit the dll-handler can let run a AI-System too by
side who can tell the dll-handler what, how, who and shold make...
and on this can make as addon/plugin a Text to speech or a api from AI
to Speech .. at later one.. or so.. (only ideas ...but... humm.. )

jea.. b4dc0d3r, Modular, that's the Point... with a dll-handler and by side a
crashchecker/Handler .. a little AI by/in self.. by side.. of a other AI to
can programming as plugin, as a dll ... later..

Modular, that's the Magic Word.. of... humm.. more ?
Take a look in the Mirror ... if you understand what i
mean with it.. to can evolutioning......

A "Live" isnt only one thing, it's more as one.. it's modular ....

greatings..
Blacky
nicekiwi9

Post by nicekiwi9 »

I think something like the XP menu, maybe the ubuntu-compact version,

It alright speculating over what each individual would want it to be, but for the End-User it should be targeted at, which would be Ex-users of windows, XP or (shudder) even vista, Familiarity is key, allot of these start menus you guys are making maybe "simple" for u and do all that you need but from what i can see alot of them look very un-professional and i understand most are just concepts but they look like something a developer might use and not something a everyday user would every fully get into.

I something people know and can easily use (XP) would be excellent for ReactOS, but optionally you should be able to customize and change the menu if you feel the need, as you can with windows anyway.
FlyingIsFun1217

Post by FlyingIsFun1217 »

This is beyond a doubt my favorite menu. EVER.

FlyingIsFun1217
RaX

Post by RaX »

Regardless of what YOU, as an individual, think looks good, ReactOS isn't just for you.

Anyways, good developers tend to think like this:
Core first, features second.

IE::ReactOS will not have a complex gui until it's stable with great program support. It'd be an incredible waste of time on both your part and the developers' to even touch on this yet... Alot will change by the time it's time to implement themes or a way to customize the gui, something done now will most likely break later and cause more work for the developers.

The reason that developers tend to gravitate toward stripped down machines? It's like a car, really, to point our that other forum user's example... If you want luxury you'd want the A/C, leather seats, power windows and locks...But if you wanted to get someplace fast, wouldn't you instead use the money(development time) to make what's under the hood better first? Frankly, I'd rather have a solid engine than leather seats.