Future Start Menu

The place to bring up any design issues, or post your own creations

Moderator: Moderator Team

How would you like the Start Menu design (not counting icons)?

Just like the way it is now
24%
Similar to the Windows XP or Vista menu
38%
Who needs Windows? - A new ReactOS style Start Menu which blows Windows out of the water! (please post specifics)
38%

Total votes: 112

betaluva

Post by betaluva »

i think at some point in the future reactos should be released in two versions , one plain basic edition with the current explorer etc and a fulll multimedia gui version, i show screnshots of reactos to people and they just laugh and say im not using a os that looks like windows 95.
Smiley
Developer

Post by Smiley »

betaluva wrote:i think at some point in the future reactos should be released in two versions , one plain basic edition with the current explorer etc and a fulll multimedia gui version, i show screnshots of reactos to people and they just laugh and say im not using a os that looks like windows 95.
Except for windows 95 , it looks like 2003 wich is the latest Server OS from Microsoft.
The people that choose an os by the appearance should learn that there are many other important things in an OS.
Ground0

Post by Ground0 »

I think if ROS is stable to work with it than we can discuss about something like the GUI or other applcation, a Basic and a Multimedia Edition etc.
Programm all ideas, but make it so that its be removable ex. for the basic edition.
Yes do it, the it's a lot of Programmers who can't programming some heavy system things, but other things good.

I'm for the Idea from artguy10

With Greeting Ground0
PS:Sorry about my bad english.
ReactOS SVN ... Firefox... OpenOffice...
betaluva

Post by betaluva »

"it looks like 2003 wich is the latest Server OS from Microsoft' yes but how many desktop users use server 2003? im not posting this just to annoy the devs, this is a real issue, i dont think reactos needs a a gui like compiz or even vista but it definatly needs something equal to win xp.
Speekix

Post by Speekix »

why we need only one type of the start menu????? why not to support natively different themes for the menu????
FSX

Post by FSX »

Okay. The truth is:

There will be ONE version of official ReactOS.

It will look virtually identical to the current version.

Other people can put stuff in, however the devs will probably refuse it for the official.
InFeRnODeMoN

Post by InFeRnODeMoN »

Speekix wrote:why we need only one type of the start menu????? why not to support natively different themes for the menu????
It's always funny when people forget that even slight and even beneficial stems from Windows design are gonna break compatibility...
ReactOS has to run the same way Windows does. Any hacked-in custom start menu is a potential compatibility issue (and we currently got a LOT of them)
geertvdijk

Post by geertvdijk »

InFeRnODeMoN wrote:
Speekix wrote:why we need only one type of the start menu????? why not to support natively different themes for the menu????
It's always funny when people forget that even slight and even beneficial stems from Windows design are gonna break compatibility...
ReactOS has to run the same way Windows does. Any hacked-in custom start menu is a potential compatibility issue (and we currently got a LOT of them)
I think Speekix means support all types of Start Menus currently available from Classic to Vista?

EDIT: used wrong name
-graey-
Nmn

Post by Nmn »

Lol.

That makes me laugh.

No, Using a custom start menu will not break compatibility. Ever. Only if you tried to change the layout of files, but thats not even smart. Other than that, its no different than XP having its own start menu or Vista having its own. See, you may or may not know that the only compatibility breaks are caused by API and file layouts, and occasionally a few other things (However, I've never saw the start menu cause a problem.) The way you speak, it sounds like having a Non-Microsoft Icon set would be problematic. That sounds just as redundant.

Hell, WindowBlinds can change the Start Menu - Sure, it can cause compatibility breaks, but thats completely unrelated from the custom start menu. (Notice: ReactOS can not yet use WindowBlinds. I believe there are a few hooking and GUI things that are currently unimplemented and/or broken, along with DirectX which would be a problem.)
Programmers: Help us put Vista graphics drivers on Linux! The WDOL Project Homepage
eXile

Post by eXile »

Hi,
No, Using a custom start menu will not break compatibility. Ever. Only if you tried to change the layout of files, but thats not even smart. Other than that, its no different than XP having its own start menu or Vista having its own. See, you may or may not know that the only compatibility breaks are caused by API and file layouts, and occasionally a few other things (However, I've never saw the start menu cause a problem.) The way you speak, it sounds like having a Non-Microsoft Icon set would be problematic. That sounds just as redundant.
I aggree with you. In OOP its called an "observer pattern". Even though ReactOS / the respective component is written in C, there is certainly a aquivalent approach used. Really ridiculous. However, theming would be a far better approach than "hacking the stuff into the code".

Regards,
eXile.
Nixer

Post by Nixer »

I dont like white background and too bold font. Also I dont like all thar Vista/MacOS X-like blur. There should be a classical version of menu. Most of all I'd like the style and colors of the original Reactos website (i.e. mere greenich than blueish).
FlyingIsFun1217

Post by FlyingIsFun1217 »

Smiley wrote: The people that choose an os by the appearance should learn that there are many other important things in an OS.
And will have to suffer with vista!

Oops, did I say that aloud?

FlyingIsFun1217 :)
betaluva

Post by betaluva »

ha-ha ,shhhhh, bill might hear you. :lol:
walter

Post by walter »

preston wrote:
artguy10 wrote:You guys really prefer low-color icons and simple gray square menus to fully-colored icons, intuitive/innovate designs and nicer designs like in Vista?
yes I do
me too :wink: i like classic win 9x style, it's simple and clear
mf
Developer

Post by mf »

I've gotten rather fed up with the classic interface, as I've used it for about 12-14 years (the number varies based on whether or not you count Win311's interface), and I believe I've seen enough grey for the rest of my life. On the other hand, functionality has a higher priority to me. I'd rather have a very powerful grey interface than a numbed down eyecandy interface (*cough* Mac OS X *cough*). Needless to say though, the two can be combined. As for ReactOS, I think it should be obvious that functionality will first be implemented, and that the candy can always be added later.
It compiles, let's ship it!