Is it legal to use Microsoft dll-files?

Ask your support questions in here

Moderator: Moderator Team

LesThor

Is it legal to use Microsoft dll-files?

Post by LesThor »

Hi,
I have a problem with a program. The program need the file msvcp60.dll. Is it legal to use msvcp60.dll from http://www.DLL-files.com without a Microsoft-license?
mily

Post by mily »

No, it's illegal.

But i think this file if freely redistributable in Microsoft Vusial C++ RunTime Library. I've used it on older versions of Windows. But I don't know what about using it on ReactOS.
steveh

msvcp60.dll?

Post by steveh »

Generally you must distinguish 2 cases:

A DLL is delivered only in versions of Windows. Then you MUST own a legal version of windows to be entitled to use the DLL in Reactos.

Or the same DLL is also delivered by MS in any freeware package. Then you can download it from MS and use it in Reactos as you want.

However you are NEVER entitled to do "other things" than using it. Especially it remains illegal to make reverse engineering, recreate a source code, and so on...

Exception:
MS has published some very few things (i don't know what exactly) under GPL licence. With these apply the same GPL rules as for any other GPL.
Ground0

Post by Ground0 »

I dont know exactly, but it gives things like Internet Explorer where be freely downloadable but it is illegal to use it without a Windows license.
ReactOS SVN ... Firefox... OpenOffice...