Ask your support questions in here

Moderator: Moderator Team

dizt3mp3r

Post by dizt3mp3r »

Testing VB6 enterprise installation on ReactOS 0.3.16 generates an error on ACMBOOT.EXE.

Log file linked here:

http://lightquick.co.uk/images/stories/reactos-vb6.log

VB6 is one of my main drivers for wanting ReactOS. A platform where VB6 functions (runs programs and allows the IDE to function) means legacy apps have a stable and supported platform that will reliably be in existence even when MS destroys its own windows ability to support VB6 apps. in the future.

[ external image ]
Skillset: VMS,DOS,Windows Sysadmin from 1985, fault-tolerance, VaxCluster, Alpha,Sparc. DCL,QB,VBDOS- VB6,.NET, PHP,NODE.JS, Graphic Design, Project Manager, CMS, Quad Electronics. classic cars & m'bikes. Artist in water & oils. Historian.
Webunny

Re: Feedback: VB6 installation fails at ACMBOOT.EXE 0.3.16

Post by Webunny »

dizt3mp3r wrote:Testing VB6 enterprise installation on ReactOS 0.3.16 generates an error on ACMBOOT.EXE.

Log file linked here:

http://lightquick.co.uk/images/stories/reactos-vb6.log

VB6 is one of my main drivers for wanting ReactOS. A platform where VB6 functions (runs programs and allows the IDE to function) means legacy apps have a stable and supported platform that will reliably be in existence even when MS destroys its own windows ability to support VB6 apps. in the future.

[ external image ]
Did it used to run well on other builds or releases, like the 0.3.15?

Or is it just something that *still* doesn't work on 0.3.16, you mean? (aka, is it a long standing bug or a regression?)
dizt3mp3r

Post by dizt3mp3r »

Have not previously tested it on earlier versions of ReactOS.
Skillset: VMS,DOS,Windows Sysadmin from 1985, fault-tolerance, VaxCluster, Alpha,Sparc. DCL,QB,VBDOS- VB6,.NET, PHP,NODE.JS, Graphic Design, Project Manager, CMS, Quad Electronics. classic cars & m'bikes. Artist in water & oils. Historian.
oldman

Post by oldman »

dizt3mp3r,
I would suggest you down-load and try trunk builds from here https://www.reactos.org/getbuilds and see if that shows an improvement.
They are now more advanced, code wise, than 0.3.16 release.
Please keep the Windows classic 9x/2000 look and feel.
The layman's guides - debugging - bug reporting - compiling - ISO remaster.
They may help you with a problem, so do have a look at them.
dizt3mp3r

Post by dizt3mp3r »

Will do.
milon

Post by milon »

Then post in JIRA as a new bug, or comment on an existing one if it already exists.
MadWolf

Post by MadWolf »

hi
vb6 runtime redistributable is a self-extracting executable to install on reactos you need on the host os extract the files to a temp folder and delete W95INF32.DLL W95INF16.DLL vbrun60.inf
rename ADVPACK.DLL to ADVPACK.DLL.old
mount the React OS virtual drive file

copy olepro32.dll to \ReactOS\ReactOS\system32
copy stdole2.tlb to \ReactOS\ReactOS\system32
copy oleaut32.dll to \ReactOS\ReactOS\system32
copy ADVPACK.DLL.old to \ReactOS\ReactOS\system32
copy asycfilt.dll to \ReactOS\ReactOS\system32
copy comcat.dll to \ReactOS\ReactOS\system32
copy msvbvm60.dll to \ReactOS\ReactOS\system32

or make a self-extracting executable

i do not know if the ide works
dizt3mp3r

Post by dizt3mp3r »

That's great you managed to install the runtime. Have you tried firing up any programs that use the runtime?

The IDE does not even install as shown above let alone run, though I could just try moving all the files over by hand as you have done. I will give that a go.
MadWolf

Post by MadWolf »

hi
the test programs i have made in vb6 work but they are very simple and i do not know any programs that use vb6 run-times to test

edit
http://fatalerrordoom.blogspot.co.uk/20 ... blems.html
For some reason, when I try to install Visual Studio 6.0, I encounter an error that states that "acmboot.exe is damaged". Is there a way to fix this problem, or do I need to get my install disc for this program replaced?

********* SOLUTION **********
Error Launching D:\....\acmboot.exe.
1. make a copy of your installation cd in your hard drive
2. make a copy of the setup/VS98ENT.STF and name it acmsetup.STF
3. copy entire content of setup/ to previous folder (the one that has acmboot.exe file)
4. modify acmsetup.stf with acost.exe as you require and save it.
5. run acmsetup.exe instead of setup (the one that's on the same path as acmboot.exe)
6. voala, that's it, your visual studio 6.0 will be installed.
dizt3mp3r

Post by dizt3mp3r »

I'll give that a go - how did you figure that one out?
MadWolf

Post by MadWolf »

dizt3mp3r wrote:I'll give that a go - how did you figure that one out?
Google is your friend
vb5 Control Creation Edition runs on Reactos
[ external image ]
A free, downloadable Control Creation Edition was also released for creation of ActiveX controls. It was also used as an introductory form of Visual Basic: a regular .exe project could be created and run in the IDE, but not compiled.
https://sites.google.com/site/vbclassic ... on-edition
counting_pine

Post by counting_pine »

MadWolf wrote:http://fatalerrordoom.blogspot.co.uk/20 ... blems.html
For some reason, when I try to install Visual Studio 6.0, I encounter an error that states that "acmboot.exe is damaged". Is there a way to fix this problem, or do I need to get my install disc for this program replaced?

********* SOLUTION **********
Error Launching D:\....\acmboot.exe.
1. make a copy of your installation cd in your hard drive
2. make a copy of the setup/VS98ENT.STF and name it acmsetup.STF
3. copy entire content of setup/ to previous folder (the one that has acmboot.exe file)
4. modify acmsetup.stf with acost.exe as you require and save it.
5. run acmsetup.exe instead of setup (the one that's on the same path as acmboot.exe)
6. voala, that's it, your visual studio 6.0 will be installed.
The above solution approximately works for me with the VB6 Working Model Edition (using VB98WKM.STF) on 0.3.16. I skipped the acost.exe step.
I did have to run SETUP.EXE before ACMSETUP.EXE though, otherwise I got an error message saying I must run the Installation Wizard before running this setup.
During the install it fails to open C:\ReactOS\System32\ODBCCP32.DLL, but you can ignore it and setup will continue. Then wpie15.exe can't find the entry point CM_Get_DevNode_Status_ex in setupapi.dll. It crashes with an instruction 0x77f2cb83 referencing 0x0000002c. The software seems to have installed OK though..

On loading it up, it can just about compile and run with Ctrl-F5, but there's lots of graphical oddities and editing code is near impossible.
[ external image ]
dizt3mp3r

Post by dizt3mp3r »

I am using the power invested in me to raise this thread from the dead!

Apologies. I am prepared to take the smack on the wrist.

It seems appropriate to do so as I have had this thread open in a browser tab for the last six years... always with the intention of proceeding with a VB6 IDE installation. I've only recently restarted re-testing ReactOS as so much progress has been made over the last few years (with impressive results) and I was hopeful for a successful VB6 IDE install.

However.

I have attempted to install VB6 using the steps listed above to no avail.

o Setup.exe fails producing a zero width and zero height modal pop-up that you cannot interact with.
o Acost.exe that is used to configure your installation remains completely blank so you cannot configure anything.
o ACMSETUP.EXE knows that you have not run the installation wizard and reports as such every time you run it.
o Running ACMSETUP from DOS with the correct parameters, no luck, same occurs.
o I have tried renaming various STF files as shown in the suggestion above to no avail.
o I have also copied the full VB6 installation (visual studio) to the program files folder whilst manually configuring the registry. I have manually copied over any other DLLs that it complains that are missing but ultimately, running the VB6 binary simply indicates "an error has occurred".

So, no VB6 IDE under ReactOS - not yet!

IF I could give any ReactOS developer a nudge to show interest in this part of normal Windows operation to try to get the VB6 IDE going under ReactOS then I'd do so. I still think there is a huge potential for ReactOS in co-operation with one of Microsoft's biggest language and codebase. Just getting those developers on side would be a win.
EmuandCo
Developer

Post by EmuandCo »

Yes for that I will will thrash you painfully, VERY PAINFULLY! Just kidding ^^ There is a difference in thread necro. Adding useful stuff to the old thread interesting for others and the "I have the same problem" ones. So all fine from my side.
ReactOS is still in alpha stage, meaning it is not feature-complete and is recommended only for evaluation and testing purposes.

If my post/reply offends or insults you, be sure that you know what sarcasm is...
dizt3mp3r

Post by dizt3mp3r »

I was expecting a thrashing...