Ask your support questions in here

Moderator: Moderator Team

tomleem

512 GB SD memory card and ReactOS?

Post by tomleem »

http://www.gizmag.com/sandisk-512gb-sd-card/33833/
Could one install ReactOS onto this SD Card and use it to boot from? :?:
[ external image ]
It is expensive now but I have no doubt it will come down in price once newer ones come out with even more capacity and there is similar products with this amount of memory is made by other companies. 8-)
Tom Lee M / BigGoofyGuy
EmuandCo
Developer

Re: 512 GB SD memory card and ReactOS?

Post by EmuandCo »

Same as for USB Sticks. Not yet ^^
ReactOS is still in alpha stage, meaning it is not feature-complete and is recommended only for evaluation and testing purposes.

If my post/reply offends or insults you, be sure that you know what sarcasm is...
tomleem

Post by tomleem »

Like the USB, I am looking forward to it being supported by ReactOS so it can be used. :ugeek:

There are computers where a SD card is used instead of a hard drive. Would that make a difference? :?:
Tom Lee M / BigGoofyGuy
EmuandCo
Developer

Post by EmuandCo »

Depends on how they are connected. If by internal USB, nope ^^
ReactOS is still in alpha stage, meaning it is not feature-complete and is recommended only for evaluation and testing purposes.

If my post/reply offends or insults you, be sure that you know what sarcasm is...
DOSGuy

Post by DOSGuy »

ROS will install on a much smaller drive than that!

The question of whether or not you can boot from ReactOS on an SD card depends on how the SD card is connecting to your computer. Most SD cards connect via USB, which is a problem at the moment. CompactFlash is internally PATA, and there were inexpensive adapters that allowed you to connect a CF card directly into your motherboard's IDE connector (when they still had them) and the card appeared to be a normal hard drive. I have seen, but never owned, adapters that claim to allow SD cards to connect to PATA and/or SATA (probably SATA at this point), so it may be possible to use an SD card as a regular hard drive to get around the issue of booting ROS from a USB device.
Today entirely the maniac there is no excuse with the article. Get free BeOS, DOS, OS/2, and Windows games at RGB Classic Games.
tomleem

Post by tomleem »

Tom Lee M / BigGoofyGuy
DOSGuy

Post by DOSGuy »

Careful about that first one! Standard PATA uses 40 pins; laptops used 44 pin connectors that combined the power and data cables. That would be fine for adding an SD drive to a laptop, but it won't work on a desktop unless you buy an adapter.
Today entirely the maniac there is no excuse with the article. Get free BeOS, DOS, OS/2, and Windows games at RGB Classic Games.