PCI driver, things over a bridge not seen

Ask your support questions in here

Moderator: Moderator Team

middings

PCI driver, things over a bridge not seen

Post by middings »

[url=https://www.reactos.org/forum/viewtopic.php?f=4&t=13846&#p113621]In another topic[/url] [color=#BF0040]Z98[/color] wrote:Regarding the PCI driver, it does start up, but our current PCI driver doesn't properly enumerate everything so things that are over a bridge don't get seen.
How can I discover if devices on my PC are over a bridge?

I started my ReactOS test rig with Windows XP and clicked Start > Run. I entered "devmgmt.msc" and pressed Enter to start the Device Manager. I opened System Devices and saw an entry for "Intel(R) 82801BA/CA PCI Bridge - 244E". However I do not know how to determine which devices are over a bridge. Could my network adapter that is on the motherboard be over a bridge? I searched the Web but I did not find anything that helps me identify which devices are over a bridge.
Z98
Release Engineer

Re: PCI driver, things over a bridge not seen

Post by Z98 »

I don't recall bridges being especially common. They're used for things like the docks that Thinkpads and other business laptops can be plugged into and I've seen them in SBCs that get plugged into crates and the like.
Forever Winter

Re: PCI driver, things over a bridge not seen

Post by Forever Winter »

Under Windows XP, open the Device Manager and expand System Devices. For every listed device, show its properties dialog and determine if it is a PCI device or not.
If it is a PCI device, see where it is located at. If it is located at PCI bus 0, Device 0, note its Function (There should at least one located at PCI bus 0, Device 0, Function 0).
If you are finished, open the properties dialog of the network controller and determine on which PCI bus it is located. Now compare the PCI bus number of the
network controller with the device functions noted erlier. If it matches none of them, it is likely located on a bus behind a bridge.