trouble running ros in qemu (now resolved)

Ask your support questions in here

Moderator: Moderator Team

menn

trouble running ros in qemu (now resolved)

Post by menn »

love what you guys are doing - right now on my site i tell people to try ros on qemu but since i had so much trouble i also warn them.

got a live cd and an install iso and qemu download. the first two work fine, got an old box laying around with ros 0 2 8 on it, gonna upgrade later.

but the qemu, on both the systems i tested it on, scrunches up the whole screen (and does weirder stuff in "text" mode) into 1/4 on the left, and that sdlthingy-windib switch didn't help.

any ideas? because i've never seen the qemu download work, so i feel bad telling people to try it. i think i know one guy personally and it worked for him i hear.

p.s. one of the qemu failures was on 98 the other was on xp. ros seems to run just fine, but its really hard to evaluate an os when its scrunched up to 1/4 the size :) thank you tho! when enough people know about it, i only care if it runs on hardware :D
Last edited by menn on Wed Dec 28, 2005 10:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.
TOTMS

Re: trouble running ros in qemu

Post by TOTMS »

menn wrote:love what you guys are doing - right now on my site i tell people to try ros on qemu but since i had so much trouble i also warn them.

got a live cd and an install iso and qemu download. the first two work fine, got an old box laying around with ros 0 2 8 on it, gonna upgrade later.

but the qemu, on both the systems i tested it on, scrunches up the whole screen (and does weirder stuff in "text" mode) into 1/4 on the left, and that sdlthingy-windib switch didn't help.

any ideas? because i've never seen the qemu download work, so i feel bad telling people to try it. i think i know one guy personally and it worked for him i hear.

p.s. one of the qemu failures was on 98 the other was on xp. ros seems to run just fine, but its really hard to evaluate an os when its scrunched up to 1/4 the size :) thank you tho! when enough people know about it, i only care if it runs on hardware :D
Is it qemu screwing up or R0S? Have you tried running a linux test image on qemu? Also are you sure you have all the BIOS files etc in the same directory? I have never had a problem with qemu myself so I find this odd.
menn

Post by menn »

>> Is it qemu screwing up or R0S? Have you tried running a linux test image on qemu? Also are you sure you have all the BIOS files etc in the same directory? I have never had a problem with qemu myself so I find this odd.

?!

linux test image? i downloaded "preinstalled with qemu" from the main reactos download page and then unzipped it. since the only problem i had with ros is that it was scrunchy (it "booted" and functioned fine) i assume it was not ros but qemu causing trouble.

it wasn't just in the graphics mode. freeldr also looks funny in qemu. everything looks funny in qemu. but i don't understand what that has to do with linux - i was running qemu inside win98 and then i also tried it on a winxp machine - ros ran inside qemu then.

as for the bios files, "preloaded with qemu" is presetup, there aren't many files to move around, and i have no idea why they wouldnt be in the right place already - no install batch included, everything works - except the graphics are funny as i described. again, i think it is qemu, not ros.

so what is linux test image? why would i need it and how could i run it? and are the files from the "preloaded with qemu" download not already configured as they should be? (if so a readme in that zip saying so would be lovely.)

thanks -
menn

still trying to be clear here

Post by menn »

>> it wasn't just in the graphics mode. freeldr also looks funny in qemu. everything looks funny in qemu. but i don't understand what that has to do with linux - i was running qemu inside win98 and then i also tried it on a winxp machine - ros ran inside qemu then.

machine one: win98 runs qemu, ros runs inside qemu - but graphics in qemu are scrunchy.

machine two: winxp runs qemu, ros runs inside that. but same graphics problem.

don't suspect ros - suspect qemu bc even freeloadr looks odd when in qemu and it's a text program. and i didn't install qemu - i just unzipped this:

reactos preloaded with qemu
http://prdownloads.sourceforge.net/reac ... p?download
menn

[bundled entry]

Post by menn »

this particular post is no longer needed, althought i certainly think this thread is a good thing. i tried to delete this post but i can't because it has replies. don't worry, i've figured out how to avoid consecutive posts in the future :)
Last edited by menn on Wed Dec 28, 2005 10:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.
jmmercy

ROS and qemu

Post by jmmercy »

Hi.

I have been using, recently, qemu quite a lot, with and without ROS.
I have successfully booted or installed
ROS :D
Win95 :(
Win98 :?
W2K :shock:
Linux (Knoppix, Debian, Shinux, Mepis) :D
I use the tar from the qemu site and it works both under linux and
W2K with only a minor problem with linux guest networking under
W2K. I do not know what the image you use can be but a full install
of qemu and ROS only take minutes, so go for it. Latest version is
0.8.0 and supports serial, parallel and usb ports. Graphics has always
been fine except for Win95 which refuses to recognize the internal
emulated video card. All other OS's work like a charm. Contact me if
you cannot make it run.
Regards.
menn

thanks

Post by menn »

i'm getting one thing from this thread: install another copy of qemu and copy the current c.img (etc) into that. okay, i'll try it. and since i've figured out i can edit my posts, i won't have to add any more consecutive posts to this thread :) i'll just add the results here when i've tried it.

update:it's working! the problem i was having is moot now, i'll remove the warning from my site. i seem to be the only person that has experienced it anyway.
jmmercy wrote:I do not know what the image you use can be but a full install of qemu and ROS only take minutes, so go for it.
yeah, well... 0 2 9 with qemu takes 2 hours to download. but, i'm happy to report it was totally worth it :)

i am still convinced the problem was qemu, NOT ros - so i didn't have much reason to believe 0 2 9 would fix it... (0 2 8 with qemu 14mb... 0 2 9 more like 40!) it appears that apart from updating ros, qemu was updated too, qemu.exe went from 700k to 800. thanks so much! this is so cool!
Last edited by menn on Wed Dec 28, 2005 10:32 pm, edited 2 times in total.
FOSS="MY Computer"
drm="NOT My Computer" http://eff.org
TOTMS

Re: thanks

Post by TOTMS »

menn wrote:i'm getting one thing from this thread: install another copy of qemu and copy the current c.img (etc) into that. okay, i'll try it. and since i've figured out i can edit my posts, i won't have to add any more consecutive posts to this thread :) i'll just add the results here when i've tried it.
Lol, that is a lot of replies :D

Sorry to confuse you, I forgot that the qemu version comes with the emulator bundled. I use the newest version of qemu 0.7.something. Try that maybe? I have never had the problem you are describing and i have run qemu under win98se, win2000, linux, winxp hme/pro. It sounds like a problem with qemu not ros though....

Oh, and the default linux image I was referring to comes with qemu 0.7.x again, my fault :)

Edit: Just looked at your website, again still think it is a qemu problem.