Disabled LiveCD

Ask your support questions in here

Moderator: Moderator Team

Mrkaras

Disabled LiveCD

Post by Mrkaras »

the last few live cd versions i have downloaded don't seem to have any of the new features, for example i think the last qemu version asks to download the extra web browsing componants and has an updated start menu, neither of these are present in the live CD. Isn't the LiveCD suposed to be the same as any other version?
menn

it's just not true (?)

Post by menn »

i dunno, man. i loved the upgrade from 0 2 8 to 0 2 9 - bear in mind a lot of the extra stuff is in stability and functionality in places you had no trouble before - but when i burned the new 0 2 9 live cd it looked 100 times better than the installed version for 0 2 8.

i was unable in 0 2 8 to get the res past 640x480 - the new live cd fixes that. for alpha, it's a beauuutiful gui. maybe you are expecting 0 3 0 svn results from the 0 2 9 live cd? which live cd do you consider the latest? but other than that, if the old version was so good to you that you can't tell the difference between that and the new one, i'd say you were lucky :) not me - the new (0 2 9) live cd is just fantastic. but - what features are you missing?
menn

i ran the live cd again

Post by menn »

i am seeing what you're saying about the web control. it just says "sorry - no web browser control could be loaded" but i don't know where you're supposed to load it from.

i swear there is a new start menu, but i could be wrong. i seem to be the only person who can't get it to work in qemu, (see my thread about that and screenshots) but as soon as i can i will compare the two. without anything else, i have to guess they don't update at the same time. but i do know the live cd ?29 is much nicer than the install for ?28. they had to have updated something. try making your temp folder work with the live cd and maybe it will offer to install stuff then. see what i mean about the temp folder here... it's good info to have for the live cd anyway: http://www.reactos.org/forum/viewtopic.php?t=227
GvG

Re: i ran the live cd again

Post by GvG »

menn wrote:i am seeing what you're saying about the web control. it just says "sorry - no web browser control could be loaded" but i don't know where you're supposed to load it from.
That's a bit of a problem with the LiveCD, since it cannot write to your harddisk. Writing to a CD is obviously impossible, so to where do we download the Mozilla control? We probably need to introduce a RAM drive for the LiveCD. Will take some time.
menn

i look forward to a ramdrive being implemented on...

Post by menn »

...both the livecd and install iso.
nonetheless, i'll just repost since i wasn't clear:

you have to change your temp folder to c:\temp or something. if you run cmd.exe (command prompt) and type set temp=c:\temp you must keep cmd.exe open and possibly run everything you want to install from there. this applies to the live cd only, not the regular install cd.

until ntfs and ext2 support is available on your machine (by default it isn't yet) you you will need the temp folder to be on a fat or fat32 partition. (another problem a ramdrive would solve.)

see also: http://www.reactos.org/forum/viewtopic.php?t=227

now whether this fix would apply to the current live iso (and the browser control) i'm less sure... but i wouldn't be surprised that much either way :) having fixed the temp folder issue, would he then be able to install the browser control "manually"?

someone said flock is good. it's a lightweight fork of firefox (best to not try repeating that many times in polite company.) that works well in reactos.
Last edited by menn on Wed Dec 28, 2005 12:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.
FOSS="MY Computer"
drm="NOT My Computer" http://eff.org
GvG

Re: i look forward to a ramdrive being implemented on...

Post by GvG »

menn wrote:now whether this fix would apply to the current live iso (and the browser control) i'm less sure...
Unfortunately, no.
menn

Re: Disabled LiveCD

Post by menn »

Mrkaras wrote:Isn't the LiveCD suposed to be the same as any other version?
i have found some interesting differences (i got qemu working!) including that the latest qemu is configured for 640x480 res while the live cd seems to run by 800x600 by default (the newsletter said x8 but it's actually running at 16bit, i don't think i changed that.) this is a good thing, on my machine qemu at 800x600 would probably be TOO slow.

but i also found this:

on qemu during "boot" this line comes up:

ReactOS Client/Server Run-Time (Build 20051222-r20301)

however, on the 0 2 9 live cd i see the following part is different: (Build 20051028-r18815)

i think that answers your q. you were right, they're not the same, and the live cd is older. however i still say they have both been updated since 0 2 8. (after all, 0 2 8 was officially released nearly a month before.)

i have a feeling that by the next official release, the livecd will be MUCH closer to the companion qemu release ;) call it a hunch. as for 0 2 9, the newsletter gave all indication that it wasn't really planned, they were going to go from 0 2 8 to 0 3 0, and then decided "eh, let's throw another one online so they can see what we've been up to." let me know if you notice this trend in future releases, i'd be curious.
FOSS="MY Computer"
drm="NOT My Computer" http://eff.org
GreatLord
Developer

Post by GreatLord »

Hi

LiveCD have alot of bugfix and new api, if u know how to install and setup program before create livecd then will the program runing from livecd. I often config it with UT and Quake 1 (WinQuake). And it got alot stable that last one.

The LiveCD res have always been 800x600x16 not less or higher.

We did talk about bootcd how best doing the res there. Now you can choice before at install from 640x480 to 1024x768
with 256color or highcolor (8/16 bits color). That was talking about, next release will have that featur for the bootcd
Dr. Fred
Developer

Post by Dr. Fred »

I would recommend not to try live cd but the vmware player image. (I did not try it but I use normal vmware and it works best)

640x480x8 is the default resolution, but you can change that using the gui. Since you can not do that with the livecd, because it requires reboot the default there is 800x600x16.

As GreatLord said in SVN and next release you can also change the resolution in the installer.
Where do you want ReactOS to go today ?
Mrkaras

Post by Mrkaras »

Thanks, that probably explains most of it anyway. I'm sure all the API updates are in it, i just can't easily 'see' them. the updated sart menu i refered to was just the items that have now been put into the programs menu, the programs menu on the live cd version still disables when you point to it (contains nothing?). I can see the problem with downloading the browser control, I didn't realises features were picked out for diverent versions, i thought it was just compiled from exactly the same code and anything that could not work would probably either raise an error or crash.

I guess i won't bother with the Live CD version much and will prefer other versions in the future.