Compatibility with new versions of build tools

Ask your support questions in here

Moderator: Moderator Team

sherpya

Compatibility with new versions of build tools

Post by sherpya »

I'm following reactos development, I build it cross compiling from linux, but I'm stucked with mingw runtime 3.3 and binutils 2.14.90.

runtime 3.5 causes problem compiling some stuff, I've tried to fix but some are not easy for me.
binutils version 2.15.91 causes problems on boot (boot device not found).

perhaps my setup cannot link glu32 so I should skip the compilation, also it fails to link telnet.exe executable, but linking the nostrip works (I've not investigated on this but it should be trivial, I always copy nostrip over the stripped binary).

Also on debian I should modify rules.mak and change:
PREFIX to i586-mingw32msvc-
I think there should be a different way to detect compiler executable :)

I've also made some study on bootvid.sys driver, I've changed it into a dll a me compatible to xp and w2k3, I've made a plugin to change boot screen used with Bart's pe.
(my modded lib and sources are here).

I was tring to get int10 as in videoprt driver but reactos stuff is very different from windows stuff calling bios interrupts.

Anyway I can share my knownledge on windows/winpe to help with reactos project (until now I've learned a lot of windows stuff studying wine and reactos, then working directly on windows)
sherpya

Post by sherpya »

With latest svn the compilation problems are fixed, now I'm using a Gnu/Debian Linux unstable(sid):

Code: Select all

ii  mingw32                3.4.2.20040916.1-2     Minimalist GNU win32 (cross) compiler
ii  mingw32-binutils       2.15.94-20050118.1-1   Minimalist GNU win32 (cross) binutils
ii  mingw32-runtime        3.7-1                  Minimalist GNU win32 (cross) runtime
however the installer has some problems, it keeps formatting my partition as ntfs instead of fat, it needs a pre-formatted fat partition and the partition should be manually set to active.
Then the installation process goes on. I use it in vmware, anyway I've noticed a BIG SPEED BOOST, so good job boys ;)
menn

another way to compile reactos

Post by menn »

is in reactos. download the install iso and put it on an empty FAT32 partition (you cant install ros on ntfs yet) and then load the reactos and run mingw etc from there.

all the gpl tools needed to compile reactos will run in reactos :D they might even be included. try looking around with cmd.exe in the reactos's system32 folder. it seems to be more ready for your purposes than explorer - not complaining, it just is.