Installing drivers.

Ask your support questions in here

Moderator: Moderator Team

Nmn

Installing drivers.

Post by Nmn »

I am to understand that explorer is not hardware powered, so i will not get in to ROSExplorer problems(As im writing a replacement with copy and paste and such as we speak) and Nvidia/Graphics problems.

However, my soundblaster will INSTALL through its original CD *yawn* but theres no sound output... I know all of the common probs. None of em apply.

Now i want to try networking.

So, i use my ROS install cd(I have SVN 3.0 installer, and some progs for it) to install mozilla control. I just had a preinstalled version, so i decided to copy it to a folder in my harddrive and pulled out REGSVR32 (I kept spelling REGSRV32 at first though. DAMN BRAIN.). then, i used my Intel installer cd to install my Pro 100/1000 card... All is well and mozilla works.... But i can only bring up local pages (and "About:Mozilla" :))

In PING, i pinged to my bros pc, were on the same network. However, i get sad results, the program reports an error .... Then, 3 more messages i forgot. Sry, ill get a screenshot next time if i can get ms paints copied to my install cd, if printscreen is implemented.

Oh, and one more random question... Whenever my Windows XP clipboard stops working corectly, i can run a cracked(to make it run modernly) version of clipboard server from Windows 2.0 to keep it running till restart. Can that be used to resolve any reactos problems/ make windows programs HAVE a clipboard in ROS?

Thanks guys...
ScoTTie

Post by ScoTTie »

Ill answer the only question i see. Try the program and see if it 'fixes' the lack of cut/paste on ROS, but If its a 16bit exec it wont work.
menn

Re: Installing drivers.

Post by menn »

Nmn wrote: However, my soundblaster will INSTALL through its original CD *yawn* but theres no sound output... I know all of the common probs. None of em apply.
there is still the "sound is not yet supported" problem... afaik, it's not quite done yet.
Nmn wrote: All is well and mozilla works.... But i can only bring up local pages (and "About:Mozilla" :))
Nmn wrote: In PING, i pinged to my bros pc, were on the same network. However, i get sad results, the program reports an error ....
dunno if you know this, but you have to setup the networking (no dialup yet) via the registry. obviously you're having networking issues, so all the other stuff like mozilla isn't going to work with the network until that's solved.
Nmn wrote: Can that be used to resolve any reactos problems/ make windows programs HAVE a clipboard in ROS?
can a cracked version of clipboard server from windows 2.0 solve lack of clipboard in ros? man, only you could tell us. please let us know if that somehow gives you features... but obviously it can't become an official part os ros... and i can't think of a legal place most people would get a copy - no. no it's not too useful except to you, but nice work tho.
FOSS="MY Computer"
drm="NOT My Computer" http://eff.org
Nmn

installing drivers

Post by Nmn »

Will do, thanks guys.

I thought the registery may be huge for ros, but i guess its not to large so ill check it out.
Jaix
Moderator Team

Re: Installing drivers.

Post by Jaix »

Nmn wrote:...Now i want to try networking.

So, i use my ROS install cd(I have SVN 3.0 installer, and some progs for it) to install mozilla control. I just had a preinstalled version, so i decided to copy it to a folder in my harddrive and pulled out REGSVR32 (I kept spelling REGSRV32 at first though. DAMN BRAIN.). then, i used my Intel installer cd to install my Pro 100/1000 card... All is well and mozilla works... But i can only bring up local pages (and "About:Mozilla" :))

In PING, i pinged to my bros pc, were on the same network. However, i get sad results, the program reports an error .... Then, 3 more messages i forgot. Sry, ill get a screenshot next time if i can get ms paints copied to my install cd, if printscreen is implemented...
With local pages do you mean pages like http://192.168.. or pages like file:c:\webserver... or http://my.brothers.com/index.htm?
To me it sounds like your nic can't ping another computer, are you sure your network is up-n'-running? Check with ipconfig /all and see if you get the correct info from your dhcp-server. If you get an errormessage you havn't got networking installed correctly, if you get wrong info you need to set it in the registry.

Network should be installed by putting the nic:s .inf file in the c:\reactos\inf directory and the .sys file in the c:\reactos\system32\drivers directory.
I guess you also need delete the content in c:\reactos\system32\config and to reinstall reactos to get rid of any wrong settings.
When installation is ready it should say that you need to reboot to be able to use your newly intsalled nic or something like it.
After this you should be able to ping your brothers computer.
If not check with ipconfig to see if it gives you the correct ip, gateway, dns and subnet mask. If this isn't right you need to set it in the registry, and if you get an errormessage your nic isn't compatible yet and you need to try another nic.
Right now networking is evolving day by day, if it doesn't work now it might next week. Good luck!
PS. To make a screen shot you need http://www.sharemation.com/lanmail/othe ... hooter.zip this software can do it for you. It creates a .bmp file for you don't forget to type the extention .bmp after the filename.