reactOS 4.0 installed - what now?

Ask your support questions in here

Moderator: Moderator Team

comparotf

reactOS 4.0 installed - what now?

Post by comparotf »

Hi

After the publication in distrowatch I did download both ISOs, test and install.
The installation was only in partition 1 possible and I did have to change a lot on my HD :oops: ...
But now reactOS 4.0 starts in an acceptable screen resolution (the mouse pad of the laptop is recognized but the external USB mouse not :o , bad for me as the right mouse key of the mouse pad doesn't work any more)...

GrubPC did be overwrited and it is actually my most important question and problem: I did install the own reactOS loader.

I would prefer to continue using grubPC.

What is to do to reinstall carefully grubPC and include reactOS (being at sda1)?

Kind regards
comparotf

Re: reactOS 4.0 installed - what now?

Post by comparotf »

As I did get no answer here and can not wait longer without PC, I did google and find in the wiki an old article about the use of Grub. The offered solution continues to work good. Find later my actual grub.cfg to help other to do the same if needing. I did install grub with the maintenance iso from NuTyx (=automatized LFS distro from binaries as well as from sources out a git made in Switzerland) from 2015 (the maintenance iso from NuTyx install a stripped version of grub according LFS. It is/was the standard boot loader of NuTyx Saravane!). User having the complex Grub (Debian, Ubuntu etc. ...) and wishing to preserve it have to write an add file and to update grub following the instructions in the wikis of the adequate distribution :roll: (poor user of complex grub releases .... :lol: !)

# Begin grub.cfg
# By default boot the first menu entry.
set default=0

# Allow 2 seconds before booting the default.
set timeout=2
set color_highlight=blue/white
set color_normal=cyan/black
# insmod all_video
# insmod jpeg
# terminal_output gfxterm

menuentry "deb64 sda6" {
set root=(hd0,6)
linux /0deb64/live/vmlinuz1 noauto from=/0deb64/ changes=EXIT:/0deb64/live/ # what is that? see http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=101931
initrd /0deb64/live/initrd1.xz
}

menuentry "LYunicorn sda6" {
set root=(hd0,6)
linux /0LYunicorn/vmlinuz lpextsfs=no lpconfigsfs=no lpusersfs=no psubdir=0LYunicorn pfix=ram # pmedia=cd ## what is that? see https://archive.org/details/LazYUnicorn001Grub4DOS
initrd /0LYunicorn/initrd.gz
}

menuentry "ReactOS" {
set root=(hd0,msdos1)
chainloader +1
parttool (hd0,msdos1) boot+
multiboot /freeldr.sys
}

# menuentry "slitaz frugal sda1" {
# set root=(hd0,1)
# linux /0slitaz/bzImage64 root=/dev/sda1 ro quiet
# initrd /0slitaz/rootfs.gz
# }

### END /etc/grub.d/40_custom ###

### BEGIN /etc/grub.d/41_custom ###
if [ -f ${config_directory}/custom.cfg ]; then
source ${config_directory}/custom.cfg
elif [ -z "${config_directory}" -a -f $prefix/custom.cfg ]; then
source $prefix/custom.cfg;
fi
### END /etc/grub.d/41_custom ###
jonaspm

Re: reactOS 4.0 installed - what now?

Post by jonaspm »

Hi!
It's good to hear that you did resolve the problem!
I am testing ReactOS in an old PC just as you with your laptop... however you should not expect ReactOS to be bug free since it is still in Alpha...

Hope you can help with debug logs! :D