Does Audio work in VirtualBox?

Ask your support questions in here

Moderator: Moderator Team

Konata

Does Audio work in VirtualBox?

Post by Konata »

I can't remember if I already asked this, but I searched around the forums, wiki, and JIRA, and didn't get a straight answer (maybe I'm just blind; if so, sorry!). No matter what version of ReactOS I install on what version of VirtualBox, audio never seems to work for me. I install Guest Additions, I make sure VirtualBox is set to use DirectSound with AC97, I extract the AC97 drivers from RApps to the C:\ReactOS folder, I restart twice, I still don't get audio. Double clicking the speaker icon says "No active mixers" and the audio device configuration is all grayed out. Right now I'm using ReactOS 0.4.0, but like I said, this has been a long-standing issue for me, no matter what version I use. Is there something I'm doing wrong? Does it just not work? If it doesn't work, can someone link me the JIRA report so I can follow it? I couldn't find an open report that sounded like this issue.
Black_Fox

Re: Does Audio work in VirtualBox?

Post by Black_Fox »

It doesn't work for me as well (tested on 0.4.0-RC1 and on r70756). I actually found the relevant JIRA issue: CORE-9986
reactosfan34

Post by reactosfan34 »

I've been successful in getting the audio to work in one of the builds right before 0.4 was released. All I did was set the audio hardware to be AC97 and then installed the driver. I don't remember installing guest additions? I had to reboot multiple times, about 3-4 before audio worked as well. I had trouble though at first just like you and questioned if it even worked. Somehow it started working after multiple restarts.
CircularTriangle06

Post by CircularTriangle06 »

I haven't heard sounds on VBox (now 5.0.16) after installing the sound driver for months - but then today, suddenly it worked. Both restarts were done in Debug mode. As programs (such as Flash) depend on it to work without BSOD, it's good to know that there's some chance of sound working...