Intel Z170 MainBoard

Ask your support questions in here

Moderator: Moderator Team

apocsantos

Intel Z170 MainBoard

Post by apocsantos »

Hi all,
I was trying ReactOS live cd on my pc, with an Intel z170 chipset mainboard, but apparently it does not support neither the chipset nor the sata controller, so even the live cd cant run.

I had similar issues with Windows 7 before and solved them by adding the chipset driver to the instalation media.

Is there a similar way to do this in ReactOS ? I'm eager to test it, and run it as a replacement of Windows, but this situations with the drivers can make it almost impossible.

Regards,
Apocsantos
dizt3mp3r

Re: Intel Z170 MainBoard

Post by dizt3mp3r »

Thank you for trying ReactOS on your computer and letting us know your result. ReactOS is still in alpha. The compatibility target of ReactOS is Microsoft Server 2003. Therefore, ReactOS may not run well on computers designed for operating systems other than Microsoft Windows XP and Microsoft Server 2003. The best hardware to try ReactOS on is hardware that originally shipped with Microsoft Windows XP (Home or Professional editions) or Microsoft Server 2003. Avoid hardware that uses a USB port for its keyboard or mouse, the ReactOS USB driver is not fully implemented and has bugs. Laptop computers often use USB to communicate with their built-in keyboard and mouse pad.

Do not be discouraged. Help the ReactOS forum community help you. Read this post:
https://reactos.org/wiki/Installing_ReactOS
and this:
viewtopic.php?f=4&t=13361#p109218

Then come back to this thread that you started. Edit your initial post to add information that can help other ReactOS forum readers understand your computer and its configuration. Again, thank you for trying ReactOS on your computer.

;)
Skillset: VMS,DOS,Windows Sysadmin from 1985, fault-tolerance, VaxCluster, Alpha,Sparc. DCL,QB,VBDOS- VB6,.NET, PHP,NODE.JS, Graphic Design, Project Manager, CMS, Quad Electronics. classic cars & m'bikes. Artist in water & oils. Historian.
apocsantos

Post by apocsantos »

Hi,
Thanks for the reply. I'll be working on it in the next few days.
Are there any guide-lines for driver writing, or porting drivers from XP to ReactOS ? I'm used to write drivers for XP.

Regards,
Apocsantos
dizt3mp3r

Post by dizt3mp3r »

It should all be pretty much the same, what will work for XP should also work for Reactos. Just take into account the fact that ReactOS is under development and it may not always function as expected. There are more knowledgeable people here that will help you with specific issues.
Skillset: VMS,DOS,Windows Sysadmin from 1985, fault-tolerance, VaxCluster, Alpha,Sparc. DCL,QB,VBDOS- VB6,.NET, PHP,NODE.JS, Graphic Design, Project Manager, CMS, Quad Electronics. classic cars & m'bikes. Artist in water & oils. Historian.
apocsantos

Post by apocsantos »

Good evening,

Just an update on this subject, in XP after some tweeks, and work, it's possible to install, without any issue what so ever, just need to modify the driver and tweek it into the instalation media.

Going to try the same for ReactOS, hopping it will work as good as in XP.

Regards,
Apocsantos