Unable to Install Reactos

Ask your support questions in here

Moderator: Moderator Team

Bob Deb

Unable to Install Reactos

Post by Bob Deb »

Hi, I am brand new to the reactos forum and hope I'm doing things correctly. I have downloaded the reactos 4.2 zip folder & extracted the iso file and burnt it to a CD. I'm attempting to load the OS into a Toshiba NB550D (ex 32bit Win7) netbook of about 2010 vintage. A number of files appear to be loading into the PC starting with "Loading Reactos Setup" and finishing with "Loading Boot Drivers". The screen then goes blank and the CD drive ceases spinning. I have repeated this procedure several times, have redownloaded/extracted/burnt the iso file without any change. I noticed a couple of reviews on the download page where others have had the same problem but there was no indication of how to solve the issue. Can anyone assist please? Many thanks - Bob Deb.
menuhin

Re: Unable to Install Reactos

Post by menuhin »

middings

Post by middings »

Hello Bob Deb. Thank you for trying ReactOS on your computer and letting us know your result. ReactOS is still in alpha stage, meaning it is not feature-complete and is recommended only for evaluation and testing purposes. (Unfortunately, some web sites that mention ReactOS fail to mention ReactOS's alpha status.)

The compatibility target of ReactOS is Microsoft Server 2003. Therefore, ReactOS may not run well on computers designed for operating systems other than Microsoft Windows XP and Microsoft Server 2003. The best hardware to try ReactOS on is hardware that originally shipped with Microsoft Windows XP (Home or Professional editions) or Microsoft Server 2003. This hardware will be likely to have a compatible BIOS. Avoid hardware that uses a USB port for its keyboard or mouse, the ReactOS USB stack is not fully implemented and has bugs. Laptop, notebook, and netbook computers often use USB to communicate with their built-in keyboard and mouse pad.

Do not be discouraged. Help the ReactOS forum community help you. Read this post [ReadThis]ReactOS doesn't work in my computer!! then come back to this thread that you started. Edit your initial post to add information that can help other ReactOS forum readers understand your computer and its configuration. Again, thank you for trying ReactOS on your computer.
reactosfan34

Post by reactosfan34 »

It's most likely because that model laptop doesn't have a built in CD/DVD drive and you are using a USB CD/DVD drive I assume? USB things don't work the greatest and you won't be able to using a USB port even if it is a CD/DVD drive and not a flash drive. If you don't have another computer to test it out on you could always run in a virtual machine.

Edit: To clarify a bit more. Using USB to boot/install ReactOS pretty much is a no go. Using other USB devices after installing depends. I didn't have success with my USB mouse or keyboard working, but I am sometimes able to transfer the network driver over via flash drive without crashing/causing hang ups. Once it's installed I can download anything else I need.
jerryb69

Post by jerryb69 »

Hi,
I am attempting to install React on a computer that matches all the criteria. Everthing seems to go ok..a Screen pops up wanting me to select a language..My keyboard does not work.
I've tried three keyboards (all USB types) and none work...Where do i go from here ??
middings

Post by middings »

jerryb69 wrote:I've tried three keyboards (all USB types) and none work...Where do i go from here ??
At present, ReactOS's USB stack fails with some keyboard I/O configurations. Because you tried 3 keyboards, I'll guess that ReactOS might not yet be capable of supporting your PC's internal USB circuitry.
Bob Deb

Post by Bob Deb »

Many thanks for the very informative advice. I have been scouting around for a PC which meets all the Reactos criteria but haven't procured one as yet. Yes, the NB550D netbook I used has both USB connected mouse and external CD reader/writer, and there is every chance that the integral keyboard may well be USB connected. In addition, the NB550D specs appear to indicate that it may have been specifically configured for Win 7 (starter edition), which has probably further exacerbated any incompatibility. Quick question regarding mouse connection - I have only come across two connection types (PS3 & USB), is there another alternative to both of these which would increase compatibility with Reactos? Many thanks - Bob Deb.