Laptop,Wifi & reactos

Ask your support questions in here

Moderator: Moderator Team

davidknibb

Laptop,Wifi & reactos

Post by davidknibb »

I've got 4.3 installed on a old Toshiba laptop.
I cannot get wifi of any sort to work at all.
The XP drivers for ROS built in card wont install.
It won't even see my PCMCIA wifi card.
I've got 2 different USB wifi dongles and they are both recognised - but again the drivers won't install.

My questions are
1 - does anyone have a lap top on which the wifi is working out of the box - without the need for additional drivers (eg the ROS kernel has the drivers built in)
2- what experience do users have with wifi on laptops - any usb dongles that are easy to set up ?

I've looked as the compatible h/w pages - but it would be interesting to hear directly from users.

Thanks

David
middings

Re: Laptop,Wifi & reactos

Post by middings »

(2) Do not count on USB working at this time.
davidknibb

Post by davidknibb »

Yes thanks. I realize that there are still USB issues. And since PCMCIA card isn't even recognised it was my intention to try to find out if there are any known laptops where wifi 'just works'

Thanks

David
reactosfan34

Post by reactosfan34 »

I have a Lenovo T61 and when you turn the hardware switch on for the wifi ReactOS instantly freezes. It also can't boot when it is turned on. I haven't had a chance to look into it further. There isn't a serial port so I have a feeling getting debug logs will be hard.
EmuandCo
Developer

Post by EmuandCo »

WiFi is not working at all. Unless you have a driver with own config app and are happy with WEP encryption. Use LAN
ReactOS is still in alpha stage, meaning it is not feature-complete and is recommended only for evaluation and testing purposes.

If my post/reply offends or insults you, be sure that you know what sarcasm is...
davidknibb

Post by davidknibb »

Thanks for the comments.

David
Reziac

Post by Reziac »

I don't know if this is helpful, but I just tried installing two different USB wireless network dongles. ReactOS sees both, but:

One has a Realtek chip on a generic dongle. ROS refuses to see the driver, but installed the utility (threw an exception but then restarted itself and installed, then whined that it can't find MFC90.DLL -- it's right in front of you, stupid). At the time it didn't occur to me to try Device Manager instead of the wizard.

The other is a MediaTek with a Ralink chip. The "found new hardware" wizard refused to see the driver, but Device Manager installed it like magic, and claims it's working.

Now trying to figure out how to set up networking!
Scheiger

Post by Scheiger »

Reziac wrote:I don't know if this is helpful, but I just tried the diet pills installing two different USB wireless network dongles. ReactOS sees both, but:

One has a Realtek chip on a generic dongle. ROS refuses to see the driver, but installed the utility (threw an exception but then restarted itself and installed, then whined that it can't find MFC90.DLL -- it's right in front of you, stupid). At the time it didn't occur to me to try Device Manager instead of the wizard.

The other is a MediaTek with a Ralink chip. The "found new hardware" wizard refused to see the driver, but Device Manager installed it like magic, and claims it's working.

Now trying to figure out how to set up networking!
I had the same problem with the realtek chip not being recognized. Device manager works.