Can not install ReactOS on HP mini 10''

Ask your support questions in here

Moderator: Moderator Team

mariosxenos

Can not install ReactOS on HP mini 10''

Post by mariosxenos »

I downloaded live cd and created bootable usb (using rufus). The installation stops exactly after the logo of OS appears. Then it shows BSOD
I repeated process several times with the same result. Then I used "screen mode" and I took photo after I had typed "bt"
Here is the last screenshot and a screenshot with system specs
https://goo.gl/photos/qDtykJmWkc5YMNnu8
https://goo.gl/photos/4SV8Lo662pxctiYSA

thx
dizt3mp3r

Re: Can not install ReactOS on HP mini 10''

Post by dizt3mp3r »

This is a damn fine page to read before attempting an installation:

https://reactos.org/wiki/Installing_ReactOS

If you read it you'll find that ReactOS does not work on most hardware and that you should not expect it to at this stage. It certainly will not boot from USB. You really SHOULD read the installation notes before installing anything.
Skillset: VMS,DOS,Windows Sysadmin from 1985, fault-tolerance, VaxCluster, Alpha,Sparc. DCL,QB,VBDOS- VB6,.NET, PHP,NODE.JS, Graphic Design, Project Manager, CMS, Quad Electronics. classic cars & m'bikes. Artist in water & oils. Historian.
middings

Post by middings »

Unfortunately, the ReactOS installation notes are hard to find from the current release download page, the Nightly Builds (Download ReactOS Trunk Builds) page, and the ReactOS.org home page.

If dizt3mp3r had not provided the link to the ReactOS installation notes, then I would have hunted for the installation notes with my favorite web search engine. This search string "site:ReactOS.org installation notes" found the installation notes with the first search result returned.
dizt3mp3r

Post by dizt3mp3r »

"What now?!

If you don't know what to do with the downloaded file... "

This seems clear enough to me.

We could have a hover-over stating "installation notes", sometimes if a link is stated too "jocularly" it can dissuade the techies (who think they know better) from going for the easy option when that is what is required.
Skillset: VMS,DOS,Windows Sysadmin from 1985, fault-tolerance, VaxCluster, Alpha,Sparc. DCL,QB,VBDOS- VB6,.NET, PHP,NODE.JS, Graphic Design, Project Manager, CMS, Quad Electronics. classic cars & m'bikes. Artist in water & oils. Historian.
EmuandCo
Developer

Post by EmuandCo »

Sooo, I would say this is freeldr detecting the USB drive and partitions, starting ntoskrnl, but ntoskrnl does not see itself or any other files. USB boot is not really working at all yet and this will not change until more work (==merging branches with the work) is done. I heard of some kinda hack including some timers in some parts of the code, but dunno where that was...
ReactOS is still in alpha stage, meaning it is not feature-complete and is recommended only for evaluation and testing purposes.

If my post/reply offends or insults you, be sure that you know what sarcasm is...
middings

Post by middings »

dizt3mp3r wrote:"What now?!

If you don't know what to do with the downloaded file... "
Ha ha, you got me there, dizt3mp3r. I scanned the ReactOS.org home page and the download pages looking for the words "installation notes".
...sometimes if a link is stated too "jocularly" it can dissuade the techies (who think they know better) from going for the easy option when that is what is required.
Hey, what can I say? I was dissuaded. I recommend against a hover-over because we techies (who think we know better) will ignore that button ("It's obviously for total noobs, not me!") and won't bother hovering over it. I'd add a boring looking button labeled "installation notes" to the page and point it to the same link. ;)