Blue Screen crash on VirtualBox

Ask your support questions in here

Moderator: Moderator Team

MarekKnapek

Re: Blue Screen crash on VirtualBox

Post by MarekKnapek »

Hello all, today, I had the same problem with ReactOS 0.4.12 and Virtual Box 6.0.12 r133076. I tracked the problem down to too small hard drive. I game my virtual machine a 512 MB of RAM and 1 GB of hard drive. It would fail. I changed all settings I could find and nothing worked. But then (in despair) I changed hard drive size to 2 GB and ReactOS worked fine. I guess the problem is related to swap file being automatically allocated to 1.5 times the size of RAM. So, there might be bug in ReactOS somewhere as it seems that page file overwrites other files. Best regards, Marek.
dizt3mp3r

Post by dizt3mp3r »

Nice bug!
Skillset: VMS,DOS,Windows Sysadmin from 1985, fault-tolerance, VaxCluster, Alpha,Sparc. DCL,QB,VBDOS- VB6,.NET, PHP,NODE.JS, Graphic Design, Project Manager, CMS, Quad Electronics. classic cars & m'bikes. Artist in water & oils. Historian.
binarymaster

Post by binarymaster »

MarekKnapek wrote: Sat Sep 21, 2019 3:34 am I gave my virtual machine a 512 MB of RAM and 1 GB of hard drive. It would fail. I changed all settings I could find and nothing worked. But then (in despair) I changed hard drive size to 2 GB and ReactOS worked fine.
It sounds more like known FAT16 filesystem booting problem (it's installed on disk partitions <= 1 GiB).
karlexceed

Post by karlexceed »

There are a few open issues in Jira for something like this:

https://jira.reactos.org/browse/CORE-6839

https://jira.reactos.org/browse/CORE-9239

It seems that there are issues around pagefile management.
JustMaxReactOS

Post by JustMaxReactOS »

Same but in VMware, help me
karlexceed

Post by karlexceed »

Increasing the HD size is the only option currently. If you've already done that for a system that won't boot, you may need to re-install.