7zip File Copy Issue

Ask your support questions in here

Moderator: Moderator Team

tbkizle

7zip File Copy Issue

Post by tbkizle »

Hello, so recently i was trying to copy some files using 7zip and i was getting weird issues. For example i would extract a folder and i could navigate to it but trying to do anything with the folder/files would cause all kinds of issues like:

1. Trying to delete in react explorer would seem to work but folder/files don't disappear in react explorer or (possibly would but then show up again after reboot? not confirmed).
2. Trying to delete in command prompt would either say folder not empty or if /S supplied and confirmed with "Y" would say access denied.
3. trying to copy or move the folder would cause all kinds of issues in react explorer like:
- only copying folder but not files.
- copy paste not working at all.

This all happens when trying to work with the messed up folder. (working with other files/folders seem fine? not confirmed) It would seem 7zip is creating folder/files with strange permissions or something. It seems to be able to extract the files/folder but then those files/folder are just permanently there. This all happened when trying to install a msstyle theme incase that has anything to do with it. Though copying the files after downloading them individually(not ziped) worked fine so im guessing its a general 7zip issue. This happened on reactos r73948 with 7zip 16.04.
dizt3mp3r

Re: 7zip File Copy Issue

Post by dizt3mp3r »

Skillset: VMS,DOS,Windows Sysadmin from 1985, fault-tolerance, VaxCluster, Alpha,Sparc. DCL,QB,VBDOS- VB6,.NET, PHP,NODE.JS, Graphic Design, Project Manager, CMS, Quad Electronics. classic cars & m'bikes. Artist in water & oils. Historian.
oldman

Post by oldman »

Have you created an issue in Jira about this, if not, then do a search for the same or similar issue, if you cannot find anything, then you will need to create an issue.

Don't be intimidated by Jira, it is very simple to create an issue! Just log into Jira and there is a nice blue Create issue button to click on, then when the form appears, there are just 2 input boxes to fill in (leave the others alone).

Summary: In this input box, put a brief description of the issue that you have found. This will become the title of the report.

Description: In this input box, put a much more detailed description of the issue. Try describing the steps taken. The software name and version number, with a down load link, so if needed, the Dev's can get the correct software version. Your hardware specification and the revision number of ReactOS that you were testing with. If you can get a debug log, then you can use the Browse button to locate the log file on your computer and up load it.
Please keep the Windows classic 9x/2000 look and feel.
The layman's guides - debugging - bug reporting - compiling - ISO remaster.
They may help you with a problem, so do have a look at them.
tbkizle

Post by tbkizle »

I don't think there is one with this issue specifically. And i was thinking about making a ticket but it wouldn't let me login before weird it does now. I was also wondering it seems like 7zip does have other issues as well what other programs do people use in reactos? Also does reactos plan on having built-in support like win xp does?
oldman

Post by oldman »

tbkizle wrote:I don't think there is one with this issue specifically. And i was thinking about making a ticket but it wouldn't let me login before weird it does now.
It takes time for your login details (user name, password) to get to all the places it is needed. You only created your account yesterday, so if you tried to login to Jira within the first hour or so, it would have not recognised you, but did when you tried later.
tbkizle wrote: I was also wondering it seems like 7zip does have other issues as well what other programs do people use in reactos?
Have a look here https://www.reactos.org/wiki/Tests_for_0.4.4, these are for testing the release build, also have a look in the app manager; only software that is known to work in ReactOS, gets included in the list.
tbkizle wrote: Also does reactos plan on having built-in support like win xp does?
I have no idea if anything like that is planned.
tbkizle

Post by tbkizle »

After i was able to login i figured it was something like that where it had to sync.

I see 7-zip is listed as working/working. However its not in the app list(?). I suppose due to the other 7-zip issues.

Thanks for you help/support. I have now created a ticket. I just hope i did it right :) .
oldman

Post by oldman »

tbkizle wrote:Thanks for you help/support. I have now created a ticket. I just hope i did it right :) .
Looks OK.
I noticed that one of the developers made the comment "Nice and detailed bug report" for this report https://jira.reactos.org/browse/CORE-12843, so that would be a good format to adopt.
tbkizle

Post by tbkizle »

oldman wrote:
tbkizle wrote:Thanks for you help/support. I have now created a ticket. I just hope i did it right :) .
Looks OK.
I noticed that one of the developers made the comment "Nice and detailed bug report" for this report https://jira.reactos.org/browse/CORE-12843, so that would be a good format to adopt.
..well i guess I should just make my ticket invalid. That ticket show exactly the issue im having it seems the issue isn't with 7-zip but rather just the system itself.