Debugging setup on Linux host

Ask your support questions in here

Moderator: Moderator Team

Doranwen

Debugging setup on Linux host

Post by Doranwen »

I'm trying to figure out how to set it up to try testing ReactOS. I understood the wiki perfectly when it came to the VirtualBox setup and all of that, and ReactOS is installed and running beautifully. (I played a few games of Hover for nostalgia's sake.) I found the latest trunk build and all, so no issues there. The problem is that I cannot figure out how to use the software suggested for the host side of the debugging info for a Linux host. I attempted minicom and couldn't get to what the wiki said to do. I tried to use the socat command and it just complained about the wrong number of addresses. I can't make heads or tails of the com0com instructions so I didn't attempt to install/use that one.

Is there anyone who can walk me through what to do? I'm running Linux Mint (this computer's got 13 on it and that's staying on for reasons--long story - and though I have another comp soon to be running 18, I'd prefer to do the debugging on this one because it's got less running, both in VMs and otherwise), and I'm pretty familiar with using Linux on a day-to-day basis as well as some under-the-hood mucking about, but pure cli utilities are not my thing and I have a hard time figuring them out without some guidance. (I know the basics of moving around in the command line - cd, ls, etc., as well as utilities like convert, vi, and apt - but I use a gui whenever possible for nearly everything.)

Mods: if this should be under Support, please move it with my apologies - I was unsure since my issue is not with ReactOS itself but with the general setup. The wiki is very confusing in this area, as the second post in this thread says (a recursive tutorial indeed!), but I was unable to find any posts that actually went into more detail on how to set up debugging with VirtualBox on a Linux host.
Black_Fox

Re: Debugging setup on Linux host

Post by Black_Fox »

Hi and welcome to the forums!
I have something set up, though I wouldn't call that efficient.

In VirtualBox -> ReactOS VM -> Settings -> Serial Ports I have Port 1 enabled:
- Port Number: COM1
- Port Mode: Host Pipe
- Connect to existing pipe/socket UNchecked
- Path: /tmp/ReactOS-Debug.pipe

Then I can start VM and in a terminal call

Code: Select all

socat unix-client:/tmp/ReactOS-Debug.pipe stdout
It's probably not ideal, but let me know if it at least works for you :-) I run Ubuntu 16.04, so your mileage may vary on Mint 13.
Doranwen

Re: Debugging setup on Linux host

Post by Doranwen »

It does seem to be working! I'm getting a whole host of lines, most of which are like the following:

Code: Select all

fixme:(dll/win32/wininet/internet.c:2391) INTERNET_OPTION_PER_CONNECTION_OPTION stub
So, I guess that'll do! Thanks - I tried to use the socat command given and it was having all manner of fits! Copy/paste from the terminal is definitely better than nothing, though I'd still love to have it dump it into a text file somehow...