Wasted 10 CDs, never got to use this OS, please help

Ask your support questions in here

Moderator: Moderator Team

ahersom98

Wasted 10 CDs, never got to use this OS, please help

Post by ahersom98 »

I am super frustrated right now, but bear with me. I have wasted 10 CDs trying to get this os working, most of the time, I get a blue screen after it says "installing devices" or it just says "Installing devices" but freezes at that screen, and the last thing that happens is i just get sent straight to DR-DOS to play with commands that do nothing. I'm probably messing something up, even though its burning to the disk just fine. Am I supposed to install drivers before hand, or is it supposed to just work anyways like linux does? I really need help (I'm using the React OS 0.4.4-live boot, because the not live one sends me straight to DR-DOSS)
oldman

Re: Wasted 10 CDs, never got to use this OS, please help

Post by oldman »

Please describe your hardware; it will give others an idea of what may be causing the problem.
Am I supposed to install drivers before hand
The answer is no; when ReactOS starts it uses some default drivers and that is where it is having problems with your hardware.
Currently usb support is still problematic for some computers! If you have a usb mouse and keyboard plugged in, then remove them (and any other usb device) if you have PS2 ports, then use a PS2 keyboard and mouse, but if you have no PS2 ports, then I think you will have to wait for better usb support before trying to install again, unless someone else can give you some different advice.
Please keep the Windows classic 9x/2000 look and feel.
The layman's guides - debugging - bug reporting - compiling - ISO remaster.
They may help you with a problem, so do have a look at them.
dizt3mp3r

Post by dizt3mp3r »

Don't forget it is unlikely that you were going to 'use' this OS in any case as it is not really in the right shape for general 'use'. ReactOS is in Alpha and so could only be relied upon for testing as it to whether components work or not. Some hardware and software could be proven to function but that's about it at this stage. Lower your expectations and you won't be disappointed.
Skillset: VMS,DOS,Windows Sysadmin from 1985, fault-tolerance, VaxCluster, Alpha,Sparc. DCL,QB,VBDOS- VB6,.NET, PHP,NODE.JS, Graphic Design, Project Manager, CMS, Quad Electronics. classic cars & m'bikes. Artist in water & oils. Historian.
SomeGuy

Post by SomeGuy »

Ever heard of Rewritable CDs (CD-RW)? Very handy for development OSes like this.
justincase

Post by justincase »

ahersom98 wrote:straight to DR-DOS to play with commands that do nothing
ReactOS is not based on DOS (or DR-DOS, or any other command-line operating system) it is a Windows NT architecture operating system (not made by Microsoft, but designed in the same way) which stands on its own, as opposed to earlier Windows operating systems (3.x & 9x series') so if you could show us what you see when you arrive at what you called "DR-DOS" that could shed some light on what's going on.

Normally when a major error is encountered, it should either give you a Stop Error screen (colloquially referred to as a "Blue Screen of Death") or the kernel debugger (depending on whether you're booting in release mode or debug mode) and the next step would be to get debug log(s), which can either be done via the "COM1" serial port with a "null-modem cable" by choosing the "…(Debug)" boot option, or can be saved to a location on the hard drive with the "…(Log file)" boot option and retrieved using another operating system, or can be shown on the screen by choosing the "…(Debug screen)" boot option, and can be photographed, and then upload the debug log(s) and/or images, along with as detailed information as you can give about your system and what you did to get the error as you can gather to JIRA.

(Note: your login on is the same as it is for the rest of the ReactOS website, though you may not be able to log in for up to a day (or so) after signing up for an account, or changing your password, as your credentials will need to be synchronized between the servers.
I reserve the right to ignore any portion of any post if I deem it not constructive or likely to cause the discussion to degenerate.
EmuandCo
Developer

Post by EmuandCo »

I'd be more interested in.... why DR-DOS??
ReactOS is still in alpha stage, meaning it is not feature-complete and is recommended only for evaluation and testing purposes.

If my post/reply offends or insults you, be sure that you know what sarcasm is...
justincase

Post by justincase »

EmuandCo wrote:I'd be more interested in.... why DR-DOS??
Me too.
That's why I said 'if you could show us what you see when you arrive at what you called "DR-DOS" that could shed some light on what's going on.'
I reserve the right to ignore any portion of any post if I deem it not constructive or likely to cause the discussion to degenerate.
PurpleGurl

Post by PurpleGurl »

SomeGuy wrote:Ever heard of Rewritable CDs (CD-RW)? Very handy for development OSes like this.
Yes, but it is likely better to waste the WORM CD discs as they are dirt cheap now.
erkinalp

Post by erkinalp »

Ever heard of Rewritable CDs (CD-RW)? Very handy for development OSes like this.
Rewritable CDs have different track structure(fixed-track CAV), therefore you cannot use eltorito boot on a CD-RW.
-uses Ubuntu+GNOME 3 GNU/Linux
-likes Free (as in freedom) and Open Source Detergents
-favors open source of Windows 10 under GPL2
SomeGuy

Post by SomeGuy »

Haven't tried recently, but it used to boot ReactOS fine from CD-RW.
middings

Post by middings »

What happened to the person who started this topic, ahersom98?
milon

Post by milon »

Vacation?
dizt3mp3r

Post by dizt3mp3r »

He/she probably gave up just as you would expect them to. Lots of 'types' arrive here that just want to install ReactOS and run it as their main o/s. They certainly need assistance to engage their brain and read the installation instructions before they start flame posts denigrating ReactOS and displaying their inability to find and read...

Better guidance on the download page as to the current state of ReactOS and a more direct pointer as to the location of the installation instructions would be useful to prevent these sort of posts in the first place!

Why isn't the download page more helpful?
Skillset: VMS,DOS,Windows Sysadmin from 1985, fault-tolerance, VaxCluster, Alpha,Sparc. DCL,QB,VBDOS- VB6,.NET, PHP,NODE.JS, Graphic Design, Project Manager, CMS, Quad Electronics. classic cars & m'bikes. Artist in water & oils. Historian.
PurpleGurl

Post by PurpleGurl »

Well, the download page could probably be more helpful, but I don't think we should try to scare them away either. Imagine reading this:

"ReactOS is not feature complete and should not be attempted to be used as a daily use OS. It might turn the sky green, cause your dog to get pregnant (regardless of gender), cause the keyboard to burn your fingers, cause your computer to explode, or might just not be usable with your computer. It may become addictive, make your hair fall out, or cause you to hallucinate. You have been warned."