Installing from USB Drive Blackscreen after loading Kernel

Ask your support questions in here

Moderator: Moderator Team

crash911

Installing from USB Drive Blackscreen after loading Kernel

Post by crash911 »

Hi @ all,
at first i really like the idea behind reactos its a pretty nice project. I recently ran into some problems while trying to install reactos from a usb-stick onto a old netbook wich is my dummy sytem for testing OS'es. I tryed to chainload freeloader via syslinux wich works so far he also loads the *.iso into the ramdisk without problems but after the loading process of the Kernel & co. the screen turns black and it seems to to do nothing (normaly the setup should show). On the netbook there is an old installation of slackware could that cause the problem or is it the hardware of the netbook?

thx in advanced and sorry for my bad english i com from germany.
dizt3mp3r

Re: Installing from USB Drive Blackscreen after loading Kern

Post by dizt3mp3r »

USB is not yet functional - read the installation instructions for assistance. https://reactos.org/wiki/Installing_ReactOS

Ihre Englische ist sehr gut... :D
Last edited by dizt3mp3r on Sun Mar 12, 2017 10:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Skillset: VMS,DOS,Windows Sysadmin from 1985, fault-tolerance, VaxCluster, Alpha,Sparc. DCL,QB,VBDOS- VB6,.NET, PHP,NODE.JS, Graphic Design, Project Manager, CMS, Quad Electronics. classic cars & m'bikes. Artist in water & oils. Historian.
crash911

Post by crash911 »

thx for the fast awnser...
its a bit disapointing but writing a whole os is an extremlie komplikatet task so its ok maybe i can fix it if i have some time in the next week... :D
by the way the devs have done a pretty good job i realy like reactos...
dizt3mp3r

Post by dizt3mp3r »

The o/s is alpha-grade. This means it is incomplete and not ready for every day usage. Heavily under development.

PS. Keep an eye out here as ReactOS is gaining a head of steam that will result in a level of usability in the not-too-distant future.
Skillset: VMS,DOS,Windows Sysadmin from 1985, fault-tolerance, VaxCluster, Alpha,Sparc. DCL,QB,VBDOS- VB6,.NET, PHP,NODE.JS, Graphic Design, Project Manager, CMS, Quad Electronics. classic cars & m'bikes. Artist in water & oils. Historian.
crash911

Post by crash911 »

Sounds very interesting.
I don't want to complain. I like that Project and i love testing things i'm curios about.
But unfortunatlie i don't have enough diskspace on my dev pc to install it via vmware or virtual box so i wanted to try it on my netbook.
I would love to play around with the source a bit and test those changes on the netbook.
Maybe i can get the usb driver working.

Ps.: Maybe i can contribute some fixes.
milon

Post by milon »

Go for it!

Once you check out the source and make a fix or two, you'll need to make a new "Bug report" in our bugtracker, JIRA, and attach your fix to the bug report. Once the devs have seen enough quality commits from you, you can get direct commit access.

The more devs we have, the better. Sadly I'm just a hobby coder, and I can't contribute anything meaningful beyond occasional testing.