Installation on ThinkPad T40 with Windows drivers

Ask your support questions in here

Moderator: Moderator Team

LambdaCalculus379

Installation on ThinkPad T40 with Windows drivers

Post by LambdaCalculus379 »

Hey all,

I just got through installing ReactOS 0.4.4 onto an old ThinkPad T40 I recently picked up. Installation was smooth and fast.

Now that I installed the OS, I was curious to know if I could use standard Windows drivers from the ThinkPad driver CD and install them straight into ReactOS to be able to make better use of the system. Would said drivers be able to function properly? Would they be detrimental to the operation of ReactOS?

Not that this is super critical or anything... I just want to see how functional I can make ReactOS on the hardware, and explore further the compatibility of ROS with Windows software.
justincase

Re: Installation on ThinkPad T40 with Windows drivers

Post by justincase »

ReactOS should support any Windows XP and/or Windows Server 2003 compatible drivers, however in its current state a number of them will likely fail. This is not however a reason not to try them. On the contrary, this is a reason to test them, and report which ones work, which ones don't, and how they don't so the issues can be fixed.
I reserve the right to ignore any portion of any post if I deem it not constructive or likely to cause the discussion to degenerate.
gonzoMD

Re: Installation on ThinkPad T40 with Windows drivers

Post by gonzoMD »

Just try it and post your experience here: https://reactos.org/wiki/PC_ROS_Rigs
There are already some IBM machines listed. I had some luck with a T20 some years ago.