Limited Success Installing ReactOS

Ask your support questions in here

Moderator: Moderator Team

middings

Re: Limited Success Installing ReactOS

Post by middings »

Bob Deb wrote:(D)espite device properties indicating that the device is working properly, the Task Bar LAN icon continually displays "No Connection". (...I) suspect that the RJ45 connector of the LAN card may be the culprit.
Before risking damaging your PC's RJ45 connector, consider testing the electrical continuity of the connector first. The likelihood that a software bug in ReactOS causes the problem you experience is high. If that were my machine, I would try another operating system (Microsoft Windows if available or a version of Linux) and test the Ethernet connection.

If after that the connector is still suspect then I would remove power from the board with the suspect RJ45 Ethernet connector, obtain access to the solder joints of the connector to the printed circuit board (PCB) to which the connector is mounted, plug a known good cable into the connector, then use a ohm meter to check continuity from the RJ45 connector's PCB connections to the other end of the known good cable. If there is continuity through the connector and the cable then your connector is good.
I consider it essential that a fully operational LAN facility is necessary for installing the basic device drivers during the ReactOS install.
Yes, this seems to be the case.

My own test PC also has Ethernet hardware incompatible with ReactOS's built-in driver. It is an Intel PRO/100 VE Network Connection chip built into the PC's motherboard and requires its Intel-written driver. Unfortunately, I have been having difficulty getting that driver to load successfully with ReactOS. I have seen problems with it that are similar to the ones you described for your own Ethernet hardware. (See JIRA bug report CORE-8340.) Newer revisions of ReactOS might have already resolved my problem and I want to make a test.

However my test PC has been down for some time. First its power supply went bad. I substituted another power supply only to discover the data on its main disk drive was damaged. Maybe the boot sector went bad when the power supply failed. When it rains, it pours. Still I am making slow progress toward getting my test PC ready to work. I hope to try to test the latest ReactOS version again by the end of this month.