Install ReactOS on MacBook Air?

Ask your support questions in here

Moderator: Moderator Team

ModernSean

Install ReactOS on MacBook Air?

Post by ModernSean »

I have a MacBook Air (13 inch, Mid 2012)

I have a SATA connection with an SSD (Flash Storage) installed. Is there any way to install ReactOS without a BSOD? And should I select VBR or MBR and VBR?

Any help would be appreciated.

Sincerely,
Sean
middings

Re: Install ReactOS on MacBook Air?

Post by middings »

At this time ReactOS runs best on computers that were originally designed for Microsoft Windows XP or Microsoft Server 2003. Perhaps in the future when ReactOS is beyond its current alpha software stage, beyond beta release, and well into general release, some kind software genius person will take on the project of Mac-ifying ReactOS.

Until that happy future day, try using these virtualization software suggestions to set up a virtual machine on your MacBook Air that ReactOS can run on.
milon

Post by milon »

According to wikipedia, MacBook Air computers all have Intel Core i5 or i7 processors, so it's not a guaranteed failure.

You can try, but only if you don't care about the data on the laptop. ReactOS *might* work, and it might crash normally, and it might corrupt the harddrive. But my money is on spectacular failure. :D

About the boot sector, I'd personally try "VBR and MBR". And make sure you're using the latest build (there's been a lot of improvements since the last major release).
EmuandCo
Developer

Post by EmuandCo »

Mac Books do nor support Legacy boot neither standard UEFI boot. For this you need bootcamp. So it wont do anything useful by default I guess... Mac Books are zero priority I fear. We will support Legacy and some time soon UEFI.
ReactOS is still in alpha stage, meaning it is not feature-complete and is recommended only for evaluation and testing purposes.

If my post/reply offends or insults you, be sure that you know what sarcasm is...
justincase

Post by justincase »

EmuandCo wrote:… For this you need bootcamp. …
Can you install Windows XP via BootCamp? If so, ReactOS should be able to be supported that way too, yes? It may not work properly now, but if someone tries it (assuming they do it in a way that Windows XP would have worked) it could help to improve ReactOS.
I reserve the right to ignore any portion of any post if I deem it not constructive or likely to cause the discussion to degenerate.