Samba TNG and printer sharing possibility

Ask your support questions in here

Moderator: Moderator Team

mauro451

Samba TNG and printer sharing possibility

Post by mauro451 »

Hi all, i've noticed this application in the software manager, described as "this tool allows the folders/printers sharing between Windows and ReactOS", which I've then downloaded .
Deployed from 7zip , it consists in a folder with non-windows executable files.
I'd like to learn how to make it work.
The purpose is to be able printing from ReactOs (working in a Virtual Box guest machine) via my Windows installed printer, since ReactOs itself has no printing system at all.
Can someone help on how to proceed, if is it that possible ?
Thanks in advance

(sorry for unwanted topic duplication, I'm not finding a way to delete one)
dizt3mp3r

Re: Samba TNG and printer sharing possibility

Post by dizt3mp3r »

I believe that Samba is included merely as a tool to enable Word installation to not fail.

That is it...
Skillset: VMS,DOS,Windows Sysadmin from 1985, fault-tolerance, VaxCluster, Alpha,Sparc. DCL,QB,VBDOS- VB6,.NET, PHP,NODE.JS, Graphic Design, Project Manager, CMS, Quad Electronics. classic cars & m'bikes. Artist in water & oils. Historian.
mauro451

Post by mauro451 »

ah, ok then ....Word installation still fails on my ROS 0.4.5.
Thank you
EmuandCo
Developer

Post by EmuandCo »

SambaTNG is a Win32 application, no GUI one, but a console application. Yes, it allows you to print to a shared printer with some luck and ONLY from console. NO application exept SambaTNG will see a useable printer due to some magic etc. REAL network printer support comes closer due to heavy work on the printing stack by Colin FInck, but still is not existent yet.

@dizt3mp3r meant our Samba package which is for providing needed encryption functions to make Office 2010 install and work. This is a temp workaround for now and will change later.
ReactOS is still in alpha stage, meaning it is not feature-complete and is recommended only for evaluation and testing purposes.

If my post/reply offends or insults you, be sure that you know what sarcasm is...
mauro451

Post by mauro451 »

ok , I trust your work, I know I will see a printing system (network/local) next coming.
Meantime would you suggest an easy howto for Samba TNG allowing me try to make it work for a Windows configured network printer?
Useful to know but not urgent anyway, if I ever wanted to obtain a printed doc now, I can always save the doc on the shared folder of Virtual Box and print it with the host configured printer

Thank you