reactOS wont boot

Ask your support questions in here

Moderator: Moderator Team

romulo27

reactOS wont boot

Post by romulo27 »

im using a positivo laptop (i cant check its specs, if i open it, my 1 year thing stop counting and i wont be able to get a new ones if i break this) and well, it installed fine

when booting i got myself on a trouble "importing binary hive failed" i used a dvd, poweriso burn feature, and setted the partition with the boot flag in gparted to "boot" (i had to create the partition myself, it was giving me errors when trying to create it)

what i do?
milon

Re: reactOS wont boot

Post by milon »

What ReactOS version are you using? Do you have another OS you can put on the laptop in case ReactOS doesn't work? Remember, ReactOS is alpha not yet ready for everyday use.
romulo27

Post by romulo27 »

milon wrote:What ReactOS version are you using? Do you have another OS you can put on the laptop in case ReactOS doesn't work? Remember, ReactOS is alpha not yet ready for everyday use.
i know about that, and yes, i have a backup usb with ubuntu, i love ubuntu, and also my hard disk is sata, and it attend to the all minimum recommendations according to the laptop manual, im using reactOS 0.4.5, when i tried formatting reactOS by the boot disk, it didnt format, it gave me an error, then i restarted, used puppy linux, and manually formatted, worked, but it didnt boot, i added a "boot" flag via gparted, the freeloader booted, but it gave me this error

"importing binary hive failed"

it happens right after the text screen
verserk

Post by verserk »

You can try one of the latest daily builds and see if your problem is fixed that way, other than that have you verified your disc was burned correctly?
ReactOS: HP pavilion dv6500.
MadWolf

Post by MadWolf »

hi
this page may help to find the information about the hardware http://www.binarytides.com/linux-comman ... ware-info/
romulo27

Post by romulo27 »

verserk wrote:You can try one of the latest daily builds and see if your problem is fixed that way, other than that have you verified your disc was burned correctly?
yes i burned 2 disks to verify and boot didnt want to format my hard disk, and when i formatted the hard disk using puppy linux, i got the same problem, so im gonna just load up a ubuntu live cd and on gparted see what flags does reactOS set, and set them on my laptop

also i discovered reactOS have a big failure with the drivers: usb keyboards and mouses, oh boy, windows xp supported them, but reactOS dont (tested with live cd)
dizt3mp3r

Post by dizt3mp3r »

romulo27 wrote: also i discovered reactOS have a big failure with the drivers: usb keyboards and mouses, oh boy, windows xp supported them, but reactOS dont (tested with live cd)
You discovered a lot too late... A big hint here is to ALWAYS read the instructions on the lid before opening.

USB support has only been partially implemented.

Tell us what make your hard drive is. Seagate, Maxstor &c. You may have to revert to a low level format tool to reformat the drive and if that is the case then the manufacturer's tool will be the best for the job.
Skillset: VMS,DOS,Windows Sysadmin from 1985, fault-tolerance, VaxCluster, Alpha,Sparc. DCL,QB,VBDOS- VB6,.NET, PHP,NODE.JS, Graphic Design, Project Manager, CMS, Quad Electronics. classic cars & m'bikes. Artist in water & oils. Historian.