bsod in install

Post by Rilovik »

I have black screen when installing:
[ external image ]
dizt3mp3r

Re: bsod in install

Post by dizt3mp3r »

Yes...

You might want to provide a little more information. Do you want help or are you just making a statement? (Assuming the former).
Last edited by dizt3mp3r on Tue Jul 04, 2017 10:44 am, edited 1 time in total.
Skillset: VMS,DOS,Windows Sysadmin from 1985, fault-tolerance, VaxCluster, Alpha,Sparc. DCL,QB,VBDOS- VB6,.NET, PHP,NODE.JS, Graphic Design, Project Manager, CMS, Quad Electronics. classic cars & m'bikes. Artist in water & oils. Historian.
oldman

Post by oldman »

Rilovik wrote:I have black screen when installing:
You have chosen the wrong Forum; you should have posted this in Support

Please state:
1. What platform you are testing on, e.g real hardware, virtual machine and give the specification.
2. What revision are you testing, e.g R75112 or release 0.4.5.
3. At what point did this bsod (shown in your screenshot) occur.

There are 2 stages to the installation before it finally boots into the desktop. The first stage it installs the OS and reboots after it writes to the MBR, then in the second stage, it asks you some more question before rebooting again, this time it boots all the way into the desktop.

When asking for help, always give as much information as you possibly can, to enable other people to help you.
Please keep the Windows classic 9x/2000 look and feel.
The layman's guides - debugging - bug reporting - compiling - ISO remaster.
They may help you with a problem, so do have a look at them.
dizt3mp3r

Post by dizt3mp3r »

There was once a joke about MS placing advertising on the Windows BSOD, it occurred so often.

I think there might be a real case for a textual link in the ReactOS BSOD giving the poor user a direct link on how to submit a request for help... :)
Skillset: VMS,DOS,Windows Sysadmin from 1985, fault-tolerance, VaxCluster, Alpha,Sparc. DCL,QB,VBDOS- VB6,.NET, PHP,NODE.JS, Graphic Design, Project Manager, CMS, Quad Electronics. classic cars & m'bikes. Artist in water & oils. Historian.
oldman

Post by oldman »

dizt3mp3r wrote:I think there might be a real case for a textual link in the ReactOS BSOD giving the poor user a direct link on how to submit a request for help... :)
That could be very helpful, because there are more and more first-timers making very bad (terse) requests for help!
Please keep the Windows classic 9x/2000 look and feel.
The layman's guides - debugging - bug reporting - compiling - ISO remaster.
They may help you with a problem, so do have a look at them.
PurpleGurl

Post by PurpleGurl »

Agreed, and why not a text explanation of the error code? That would help both the novices and the developers. The relevant devs would more likely see that the bug falls into their area of expertise than if they had to keep looking them up. Though to be honest, I am sure a number, if not most or all, would know what the bug numbers mean without looking.

Here is a description of this problem under Windows:

https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/hel ... ode-0x0000

The problem described doesn't seem to fit the context given by the ROS user. This is likely a bug and not operator error, as the software installed has nothing to do with things in this instance. If you get this in Windows, the solution is usually to do an in-place reinstallation of Windows. In this case, ROS isn't installed yet. There may be some registry keys involved here.
dizt3mp3r wrote:There was once a joke about MS placing advertising on the Windows BSOD, it occurred so often.
Not sure if that's a good idea, considering the likely ads that would be chosen. "Fix your startup issues with our registry cleaner and generic Windows fixer..." And in a number of cases, things of that sort may be what they were running before they rebooted to a blue screen. Knowing Microsoft, they'd be pitching their own products like they do during installation (or at least used to do during the 3.x - 9x era).
hbelusca
Developer

Post by hbelusca »

Please check whether it corresponds to one of these problems already reported: https://jira.reactos.org/issues/?jql=te ... _FAILED%22 .
PurpleGurl

Post by PurpleGurl »

Yes, it appears it is the same as most of those from looking at the screen shots. So it is possible that they should try a daily build as it might already be fixed.
dizt3mp3r

Post by dizt3mp3r »

I'm unsure as to whether the OP was asking for help. I think he was just making a point...

Anyway, as the BSOD is so frequent on ReactOS an occurrence I think a bit of text showing how/where to make a post might actually be a good thing. If only temporarily.
PurpleGurl

Post by PurpleGurl »

And a mention in the FAQs and the BSOD about daily builds might be helpful. A number of times, folks report fixed bugs (and not regressions) because they are new and downloaded a version release.
bturner01

Post by bturner01 »

Just to add to this, I am testing svn updates in a VirtualBox VM - the install goes Ok and boots normally. However, for the last few weeks the updates have been crashing with the BSOD but ONLY after installing VirtualBox Guest Additions. Currently I am on release 76032 as of this day 2017-10-09.
A download from https://www.reactos.org/getbuilds/ (reactos-bootcd-0.4.7-dev-540-gac8d045-x86-gcc-lin-dbg.iso) installs just fine and accepts the Guest-Additions with no problem - it is only the daily updates that bomb. I have a screenshot of the BSOD but can't figure out how to attach it.
I am not asking for help please note - this is for whoever's information only.
I only checkout the updates just to keep an eye on progress. It's an impressive achievement all told it must be said. Thanks to all who are involved.