USB problems noted

Ask your support questions in here

Moderator: Moderator Team

Azagaros

USB problems noted

Post by Azagaros »

Virtualbox behavior notes. Latest version of virtualbox with extensions. Version Number 5.1.22.

Not sure what to look for with this issue, but it might explain why ReactOS does not directly boot on any machine. It seems when the default 1.1 usb is selected in virtualbox settings the system boots fine.

When USB 2.0 is selected it hangs in one of the device discovery drivers. When I boot directly, it hangs in swenum.sys on one box, which has Mouse, keyboard and 1 to 2 usb drives. Another box it hangs in driver loads and this box is older technology both with USB Mice and keyboards. In Virtualbox it hangs in the USBHIB.sys with no devices to be found in the tables.

Back to virtualbox, when I set the USB 3.0 the system loads fine.

I have looked over source code in these hanging points and all I find is USB discovery things. and device loading stuff. USB 2.0 code seems to be faulty.
middings

Re: USB problems noted

Post by middings »

The USB stack is incomplete at this time.

See the ReactOS Wiki page Known Issues, topic USB.
milon

Post by milon »

It's strange that it works at all with USB 3.0 - that's still under active development. (See a recent GSoC news update for more info - https://www.reactos.org/blogs/gsoc-usbx ... ork-status)

But like middings said, it's highly incomplete and relying on USB for real hardware at this point pretty much guarantees that it won't work. Fingers crossed! I'm really looking forward to the day that ReactOS works on my real hardware. :D
PurpleGurl

Post by PurpleGurl »

I thought the GSOC coder last year fixed the USB hub code and verified it. But IIRC, the only other code he worked on was mostly the 1.x stuff. Too bad he didn't continue on his own and fix the rest of it. Like with NTFS write support, that was too big of a task for one part time developer to do all at once within 2-3 months.
milon

Post by milon »

It was definitely worked on and maybe even completed, but I didn't think it had been fully merged into trunk yet. I could be wrong about that, of course. (Please correct me if I am - I'd love to be wrong about the current status of USB!)