ReactOS 0.4.5 freezes on boot screen

Ask your support questions in here

Moderator: Moderator Team

mario995

ReactOS 0.4.5 freezes on boot screen

Post by mario995 »

Hi
I have a problem with ReactOS 0.4.5. I am trying to install it on my HP D530CMT. After first part of installation ( formating drive and copying files ) ReactOS freezes on boot screen with ReactOS logo. I set up graphics to VGA when I was installing OS ( I saw that tip on forum but it does not work )
My specs
Pentium 4 Northwood ( Socket 478 with HT enabled after BIOS update )
1,25 GB RAM DDR1
Zotac Geforce 6200 256 MB AGP 8x
WD ATA 40 GB Hard Drive
I read that ReactOS does not support more than one core and one thread. Now I am on Lubuntu but I want to test ReactOS
Is there any solution of my problem? Do you think disabling of HT will help here? I know that I shoud test it myself but I do not want to format my OS when I have not got any certainty that ReactOS will work
Thank you for your help in advance :)
dizt3mp3r

Re: ReactOS 0.4.5 freezes on boot screen

Post by dizt3mp3r »

Please do NOT use ReactOS in the way you have started if you want to be sure to save your system. Read the installation instructions from start to finish and only then begin the install. I suggest you install it on a virtual machine. That way your system will be safe from any potential corruption. ReactOS is in alpha stage of develoipment and unsuitable as a daily use o/s. Testing only.

Read the second link in my sig.
Skillset: VMS,DOS,Windows Sysadmin from 1985, fault-tolerance, VaxCluster, Alpha,Sparc. DCL,QB,VBDOS- VB6,.NET, PHP,NODE.JS, Graphic Design, Project Manager, CMS, Quad Electronics. classic cars & m'bikes. Artist in water & oils. Historian.
mario995

Post by mario995 »

I know it is alpha and I read all of tutorials about installation. I only want to know how it will be working on real hardware. I know that drivers or apps may not work. It is normal in alpha but my aim is to install it only. After that I will see what can I do ;) I have Linux usb so I'm not scary about OS and files. To tell you the trouth I wanted to save my time only ;)
I tried to install ReactOS three times and every time I got a boot screen freez :D
And now I am wondering if it is connected with HT or not :D What do you think?
EmuandCo
Developer

Post by EmuandCo »

try "Debug (Screen)" and show us whats going on. If you have a command line at the halt, type "bt" and show us that
ReactOS is still in alpha stage, meaning it is not feature-complete and is recommended only for evaluation and testing purposes.

If my post/reply offends or insults you, be sure that you know what sarcasm is...
reactosfan34

Post by reactosfan34 »

Just from personal experience I would make sure to unplug and turn off any unneeded devices for booting. For example if you have a usb mouse plugged in, unplug it. If your laptop has a physical switch to turn the wifi on and off, turn it off. I've tested ReactOS on some old ThinkPad laptops and all of them can't boot if the wifi switch is turned on and if the switch is turned on after it is booted ReactOS instantly freezes. Not saying you have the same issue but it's easy enough to try. You do not need to reinstall ReactOS either when disabling devices. Just disable them and try booting up.

Edit: One more thing to add. Are you using the 0.4.5 release or the nightly/daily builds? If you are using the official 0.4.5 release it would be worth trying out one of the nightly/daily builds as well if nothing else is working.