VirtualBox & Linux

Ask your support questions in here

Moderator: Moderator Team

simona70

VirtualBox & Linux

Post by simona70 »

I use Arch Linux and Virtualbox (last update, 5.1.26) but I can't run ReacOS... :-(
Fraizeraust

Re: VirtualBox & Linux

Post by Fraizeraust »

What revision/release of ReactOS you used to run within Virtualbox? It's unlikely that ReactOS can't run in a VM like in Virtualbox because many people do that without issues. Did you try QEMU or any options if it works?

I realise you're new here so it's kind of difficult for you but please provide more information on what is exactly wrong then we'll be here to help whenever possible.
a.k.a. GeoB99 -- ReactOS Kernel developer -- My Wiki page
oldman

Post by oldman »

simona70 wrote:I use Arch Linux and Virtualbox (last update, 5.1.26) but I can't run ReacOS... :-(
This only tells us that user simona70, who is running VirtualBox 5.1.26 in Arch Linux cannot run an unspecified version of ReactOS!

We assume that you are seeking help! So you will need to post much more information.

There are two stages of the installation of ReactOS, before you are able to boot into the desktop!

Please state:
1. What version of ReactOS you are trying to run (examples: Release 0.4.6 - Revision 75474).
2. At what point does ReactOS stop running (examples: ReactOS froze in the first stage, just after I selected the language. - The first stage completed successfully, but when the second stage was loading, the progress bar only got half way).

If you can successfully complete the first stage of installation, then when you get to the boot options screen, try different options to find one that does succeed.

The choices on the option screen for the bootcd, are:
Reactos
Reactos (Debug)
Reactos (RosDbg)
Reactos (Screen)
Reactos (Log file)
Reactos (Ram Disk)
Reactos (Emergency Management Services)

Forget RosDbg and Emergency Management Services, but do try the other options.
If you are using a livecd, then the options are a little different; but again, try all the options, other than the two that I have suggested that you forget, to find one that succeeds..
Please keep the Windows classic 9x/2000 look and feel.
The layman's guides - debugging - bug reporting - compiling - ISO remaster.
They may help you with a problem, so do have a look at them.
MadWolf

Post by MadWolf »

hi
what version of Arch Linux are you using ?
BasilDazz

Post by BasilDazz »

In other distributions Kubuntu, even bleeding edge 17.10, React 4.6 is working (alpha)smoothly with Virtualbox.