Live CD 0.4.6 Mouse not working

Ask your support questions in here

Moderator: Moderator Team

Davewall

Live CD 0.4.6 Mouse not working

Post by Davewall »

Last edited by Davewall on Mon Sep 11, 2017 6:32 am, edited 1 time in total.
middings

Re: Live CD 0.4.6 Mouse not working

Post by middings »

Thank you for giving ReactOS a try on your desktop HP Compaq computer. At this time, ReactOS is alpha-level software. It is not stable, not feature-complete and only recommended for testing, evaluation, and experimentation.

You told us which release of ReactOS you tried, 0.4.6 Live CD. That was good. Please also tell us the exact model and configuration of your HP Compaq small form factor (SFF) computer (surely this is basic stuff here ??).

I am surprised that your PS/2 mouse did not work. USB devices, including mice and keyboards, are still sources of trouble because ReactOS's USB stack still has major shortcomings. Keyboards and mice plugged into their PS/2-style ports are rarely a problem. If any USB device is plugged in to your computer, the flaws in the USB stack might interfere with other devices including a PS/2 mouse. Be sure no USB devices, including memory sticks, are attached to your test computer.
Davewall

Post by Davewall »

OK - I apologise for the unkind comment.

Exact Model & Config as follows:
HP Compaq dc7900 Small Form Factor.
Processor Core 2 Duo E8400 @ 3.00GHz
Speed 3000 / 1333 MHz
Stepping 0001067A 00000A0B
Cache L1/L2 64KBx2 / 6144KBx1
Memory 4096 MB DDR2 /800
BIOS 786G1 v01.26

2 sata hdd's + sata ssd for boot partition running Win 10 Pro (fully updated).

I'll try again after removing 1 usb stick & 2 external unpowered usb hdd's.

Made no difference.

As before - I got the 'Installing Devices' screen with a mouse cursor in the middle but it didn't move at all .
EmuandCo
Developer

Post by EmuandCo »

It would be very interesting to have some log files, but getting these on real hardware is not that easy... But as middings said, USB is there, but still under heavy work. Expect better results very soon, because many things are fixed already, but still have to be audited and then added to trunk source.
ReactOS is still in alpha stage, meaning it is not feature-complete and is recommended only for evaluation and testing purposes.

If my post/reply offends or insults you, be sure that you know what sarcasm is...
oldman

Post by oldman »

Davewall wrote:As before - I got the 'Installing Devices' screen with a mouse cursor in the middle but it didn't move at all .
If you can get the mouse to move as soon as the screen shows, I suggest that you keep moving the mouse all the time that 'Installing Devices' screen is showing. If the mouse does not freeze at this window, then you should have a working mouse at the desktop. I have used this trick in the past with some success.
Please keep the Windows classic 9x/2000 look and feel.
The layman's guides - debugging - bug reporting - compiling - ISO remaster.
They may help you with a problem, so do have a look at them.
Davewall

Post by Davewall »

Sorry - perhaps I wasn't clear enough - When the 'Installing Devices' screen appears - there also appears a Mouse Pointer in the middle of the screen - but NO movement of the mouse is possible. At no time have I been able to get the mouse pointer to move.

I ran the Live CD as option 3 (SCREEN) with the following being left on the screen when it stopped loading:

Code: Select all

multi(0)disk(0)cdrom(31)\reactos\System32\Drivers\VBE.SYS
(../../drivers/usb/usbuhci/hardware.cpp:1242) [USBUHCI] Unexpected interrupt 20
(../../drivers/usb/usbehci/hardware.cpp:1269) EHCI: Host System Error!
*** Fatal System Error: 0x000000c2
(0x00000008,0x00000002,0x00000001,0x00000070)
(../../drivers/usb/usbehci/hardware.cpp:1269) EHCI: Host System Error!
#[7h]    - NOTE - The hash symbol represents a square unfilled box..
Entered debugger on embedded INT3 at 0x0008:0x80946734.
kdb:> 
kdb:>

I presume that's what you want ?? - There weren't any word wraps in the original - it WAS as displayed on the screen...
Last edited by Davewall on Wed Sep 06, 2017 2:28 pm, edited 2 times in total.
oldman

Post by oldman »

Please edit your post by highlighting the debug info and then click on the Code button which will then display it in a box, as in would on your screen, IE. no word wrap.
EmuandCo
Developer

Post by EmuandCo »

This sounds like a valid bug report for me...
ReactOS is still in alpha stage, meaning it is not feature-complete and is recommended only for evaluation and testing purposes.

If my post/reply offends or insults you, be sure that you know what sarcasm is...
Davewall

Post by Davewall »

EmuandCo wrote:This sounds like a valid bug report for me...
So who do I send it to ??.
EmuandCo
Developer

Post by EmuandCo »

I'd recommend to add it to our Bug Tracking System Jira: https://jira.reactos.org/secure/Dashboard.jspa
Just check a few reports and make your own in the same way these are done. If you need any help there, just tell me.

dizt3mp3r

Post by dizt3mp3r »

Davewall wrote:the standard ps/2 mouse doesn't work - surely this is basic stuff here ??.
Of course this is basic stuff but there is something you haven't understood. ReactOS is in alpha which means it is heavily under development. Something that worked yesterday may simply not work today, nor perhaps tomorrow and possibly even some unknown time in the future. That is the nature of development.

Before you post next time do some research as a request for help containing a criticism of the product is not likely to obtain anything for you but criticism in return. Remember ReactOS is your project just as much as it is the developers. Contribute, fix, report, help and receive help in return.
Skillset: VMS,DOS,Windows Sysadmin from 1985, fault-tolerance, VaxCluster, Alpha,Sparc. DCL,QB,VBDOS- VB6,.NET, PHP,NODE.JS, Graphic Design, Project Manager, CMS, Quad Electronics. classic cars & m'bikes. Artist in water & oils. Historian.
Davewall

Post by Davewall »

Last edited by Davewall on Mon Sep 11, 2017 6:34 am, edited 1 time in total.
dizt3mp3r

Post by dizt3mp3r »

I was as polite as I could be - and I read the whole thread. You have simply disclosed yourself as the person you are from the beginning to the end. If you expect to receive help with your current attitude you need to grow up. People here will probably still help you despite your attitude as there are some friendly people here with a more constructive attitude. Your reactions are slightly strange...you won't survive long here.
Skillset: VMS,DOS,Windows Sysadmin from 1985, fault-tolerance, VaxCluster, Alpha,Sparc. DCL,QB,VBDOS- VB6,.NET, PHP,NODE.JS, Graphic Design, Project Manager, CMS, Quad Electronics. classic cars & m'bikes. Artist in water & oils. Historian.
Fraizeraust

Post by Fraizeraust »

Davewall wrote:Maybe I'll just "**** off" for a couple of years and see if the mouse gets working again.
Is there a reason why you rage up?

ReactOS is still in its infancy stage, which means it is not feature complete and things may work at some point until they get broke. The developers here are trying their best to get issues fixed but don't expect they're gods or something. Hell no.

If you see any kind of bugs or issues not found yet by other people then don't hesitate to report them. If you need help at how to actually report a problem then we'd be glad to assist. HOWEVER, with this kind of attitude you won't go anywhere. Sorry buddy, such is life.
a.k.a. GeoB99 -- ReactOS Kernel developer -- My Wiki page
oldman

Post by oldman »

Davewall wrote:Maybe I'll just go off for a couple of years and see if the mouse gets working again.
No need to wait that long!
Davewall wrote:If a 'LIVE CD' was released everytime a minor update was produced then I'd agree with you that some minor change had screwed something up - but it's not.
A livecd should be available after every new commit! The latest commit of 75785, has a livecd available. Please try it and report back here, some of us would like to know how you get on.

For the people who like to follow an issue, Davewall created CORE-13761 - Live CD 0.4.6 Mouse not working.