Having issues booting...

Ask your support questions in here

Moderator: Moderator Team

Jester The Computist

Having issues booting...

Post by Jester The Computist »

Just burned the install CD of ReactOS and tried to install it on my Dell Dimension 1100/B110, the disk booted and installed fine, didnt miss a beat. I go to boot it after the install, black screen. Im like okay, lets put it in Debug, it runs through with no errors and gets stuck on the grey screen. So, I run it in screen mode and I finally get errors.
https://imgur.com/a/DrKeo
Im not sure what to make of this other than something to do with NTFS errors when I formatted the disk in FAT? Im not totally sure, I'll list my specs below.

Dell Dimension 1100/B110
Intel Celeron-D @2.83GHz
Integrated Graphics
2GB DDR400 Ram
USB Mouse+Keyboard
IDE 120GB HDD
oldman

Re: Having issues booting...

Post by oldman »

You have done well giving the computer's specification, but you have omitted to give the revision number for ReactOS that you are trying to install.

If you have let ReactOS do the formatting, then consider trying to format the partition to Fat32 with Gparted or Freedos, then do a fresh install. You could even try with the latest build for here.
Please keep the Windows classic 9x/2000 look and feel.
The layman's guides - debugging - bug reporting - compiling - ISO remaster.
They may help you with a problem, so do have a look at them.
Jester The Computist

oldman wrote:You have done well giving the computer's specification, but you have omitted to give the revision number for ReactOS that you are trying to install.

If you have let ReactOS do the formatting, then consider trying to format the partition to Fat32 with Gparted or Freedos, then do a fresh install. You could even try with the latest build for here.
Im using 0.4.6, I knew I was forgetting something! But, I will try that because most of the issues seem to be disk related. I'll check back with you after a fresh format!
Jester The Computist

oldman wrote:You have done well giving the computer's specification, but you have omitted to give the revision number for ReactOS that you are trying to install.

Formatted using GParted and the same bugs showed up, thinking its a software issue because no matter what combination of modes (including the ones in the F8 menu) I cant get a bootable OS
oldman

Post by oldman »

You will then have to boot in Log File mode and depending on how far the boot process gets, you should have a debug log in C:\reactos, which then can be posted in a JIRA report. To recover the debug log you will need a livecd of a Linux distro; I use Puppy Slacko Linux.

But, have you tried the latest build from https://www.reactos.org/getbuilds/.

Have a read through the Layman's guide and see if there is anything there that can help you.
Please keep the Windows classic 9x/2000 look and feel.
The layman's guides - debugging - bug reporting - compiling - ISO remaster.
They may help you with a problem, so do have a look at them.
Jester The Computist

oldman wrote:You will then have to boot in Log File mode and depending on how far the boot process gets, you should have a debug log in C:\reactos, which then can be posted in a JIRA report. To recover the debug log you will need a livecd of a Linux distro; I use Puppy Slacko Linux.

But, have you tried the latest build from https://www.reactos.org/getbuilds/.

Have a read through the Layman's guide and see if there is anything there that can help you.
I'll do that later, thank you!