Succesful install MSI K9AG Neo-F

Ask your support questions in here

Moderator: Moderator Team

ChrisB

Succesful install MSI K9AG Neo-F

Post by ChrisB »

I haven't posted on here for a long time. Just wanted to mention that install of 0.4.6 was succesful on this MOBO. Initially I had BSOD, but disabled USB and Ethernet in bios. After install, I could enable both. USB doesn't work, but shows up in device manager. Since USB don't work, I can't install Ethernet drivers yet.
dizt3mp3r

Re: Succesful install MSI K9AG Neo-F

Post by dizt3mp3r »

Video it, stick it on youtube, let's see it!
Skillset: VMS,DOS,Windows Sysadmin from 1985, fault-tolerance, VaxCluster, Alpha,Sparc. DCL,QB,VBDOS- VB6,.NET, PHP,NODE.JS, Graphic Design, Project Manager, CMS, Quad Electronics. classic cars & m'bikes. Artist in water & oils. Historian.
Fraizeraust

Post by Fraizeraust »

Most of the bugs (not all) related with the USB stack are expected to be fixed in the next release of ReactOS, 0.4.7, so you will not have these nuisances with the USB anymore. Would be great if you could post a video, or even some screenshots of what you did.
a.k.a. GeoB99 -- ReactOS Kernel developer -- My Wiki page
justincase

Post by justincase »

Also, be aware that you'll likely have better results with one of the recent continuous integration builds available at http://www.reactos.org/getbuilds than any of the 'releases' while ReactOS is still in alpha.
I reserve the right to ignore any portion of any post if I deem it not constructive or likely to cause the discussion to degenerate.
ChrisB

Post by ChrisB »

I messed a bit with it tonight, and it seems both USB root hub and Ethernet shared the same IRQ (10). I did a few attempts at installing Ethnernet drivers, but the installer failed. Going to device manager and choosing update driver and pointing it to the correct directory worked. When I attempted to acces the web I got BSOD. Upon restart I disabled USB in device manager, after this I can surf the web.

Next I attempted to install graphics driver ATI X1200. This had previously failed. I again went to device manager and updated the driver this way. After install, resolution was set too 200xsomething. I can't get to the display properties dialog to change resolution because of this.

I'll experiment more later.
dizt3mp3r

Post by dizt3mp3r »

I saw your other post re: getting frustrated installing ReactOS on newer hardware. I gather from that that you had expectations that ReactOS would work on your hardware. You were wrong to have those expectations (see the PS below).

All you can do on most hardware is to test what fails. If you get it working on any hardware at all then you would be very lucky. Even then ReactOS would most likely be unusable for real every day operation, a BSOD would be your eventual reward.

It was mentioned earlier but perhaps we should have said loud and clear right from the start "ReactOS is alpha-grade software which means it is heavily under development and only suitable for testing to highlight bugs and other deficiencies - Please lower your expectations". We did not do that assuming that your understanding was current and that your testing was purely academic or technical in nature.

Before becoming frustrated just seek clarification and/or assistance and we will be pleased to note your progress and provide limited help bearing in mind your hardware combination and what you are trying to do.

For the moment though please run ReactOS under a virtual environment and you will be much more successful.

PS. The download page still does not state that ReactOS is in Alpha stage of development, so the mistaken high expectations are not entirely your fault.
Skillset: VMS,DOS,Windows Sysadmin from 1985, fault-tolerance, VaxCluster, Alpha,Sparc. DCL,QB,VBDOS- VB6,.NET, PHP,NODE.JS, Graphic Design, Project Manager, CMS, Quad Electronics. classic cars & m'bikes. Artist in water & oils. Historian.
ChrisB

Post by ChrisB »

You are wrong in assuming I would be frustrated. I just asked a question, which was clearly stated. The install on my desktop (this thread) was like the title here too suggests, was succesful. I know what alpha stage means. Thanks for your reply.
dizt3mp3r

Post by dizt3mp3r »

As stated, I assumed the frustration due to your other more or less simultaneous single line post
To put it bluntly: If ReactOS won't support newer hardware, it'll be dead in the water...
Sounded as if you had found something you couldn't overcome...

Regardless, glad you aren't frustrated, glad you understand. Good luck.