"Failed to open txtsetup.sif" when installing from USB

Ask your support questions in here

Moderator: Moderator Team

Mr. Tjovler

"Failed to open txtsetup.sif" when installing from USB

Post by Mr. Tjovler »

Hello there, nice to finally be on this forum, my name is Mr. Tjovler and i need some help. Today i decided to install ReactOS 0.4.6 on the Celeron D laptop i have in my possesion, the only problem i thought i would face was that i didnt have a spare cd laying around, and i know that USB support in ReactOS is...bad to say the least. So i used a "tutorial" rpovided by the ReactOS Community channel (video link: https://youtu.be/eancDwmWyCw). So lets jump in time, USB is ready and in the computer, everything is done in the BIOS. USB boots, and then gets to load the RamDisk (takes a while), then when the loading is done, the party ends. A blue message box pops up that says "Failed to open txtsetup.sif". So what i need help with? How do i fix this? I'd love to test ReactOS on actual hardware because VMs are boring, and the entire concept of ReactOS is great! So could someone help me with this issue im facing?

Thanks in advance,
Mr. Tjovler
oldman

Re: "Failed to open txtsetup.sif" when installing from USB

Post by oldman »

I cannot help you with the USB boot, but I have a few suggestions.
1, Try again to install it from USB, because sometimes when an installation fails, the next you try, it may go past the place it failed and complete the installation.
2. Try the latest build ISO from https://www.reactos.org/getbuilds/
3. Buy some CDs and try to install that way.
4 Try running a livecd.
Please keep the Windows classic 9x/2000 look and feel.
The layman's guides - debugging - bug reporting - compiling - ISO remaster.
They may help you with a problem, so do have a look at them.
Mr. Tjovler

Post by Mr. Tjovler »

oldman wrote:I cannot help you with the USB boot, but I have a few suggestions.
1, Try again to install it from USB, because sometimes when an installation fails, the next you try, it may go past the place it failed and complete the installation.
2. Try the latest build ISO from https://www.reactos.org/getbuilds/
3. Buy some CDs and try to install that way.
4 Try running a livecd.
i did try mutipile times (even formatted it to FAT, but that didnt work), i'll try with the latest build tomorrow
middings

Post by middings »

If installing ReactOS onto a hard drive, then that hard drive must be formatted in the FAT format. (FAT32 is recommended.)

Installing ReactOS from a CD is the most reliable method at this time. If making permanent changes to the hard drive of the test computer (PC) is not desired, then experiment with the Live CD version of the ReactOS boot CD.

The usual warnings still apply:
Installing ReactOS wrote:ReactOS is still in alpha stage, meaning it is not stable or feature-complete
and is recommended only for evaluation and testing purposes.
A zero as the initial value of the release number signals early, not ready for production use releases. The ReactOS project follows this widely used informal convention of the software industry. A few other open source projects do not. Users of software must verify for themselves whether the software they use is stable, robust, and reliable enough for their intended use.

ReactOS is not for use with life support applications or devices. Or with anything that, if ReactOS fails in any manner, could affect ones family, job, livelihood, or classroom grades.