NEC Powermate VL280 CORE 2 DUO DESKTOP

Ask your support questions in here

Moderator: Moderator Team

bradleybrand

NEC Powermate VL280 CORE 2 DUO DESKTOP

Post by bradleybrand »

I have an old NEC VL280 CORE 2 DUO DESKTOP PC I wanted to get ReactOS working on.

I had it working, ish, at some point.

I am unable to find any needed drivers, such as the NEC Ethernet driver.

Does anyone know if this machine would be capable of running ReactOS?
oldman

Re: NEC Powermate VL280 CORE 2 DUO DESKTOP

Post by oldman »

bradleybrand wrote:I have an old NEC VL280 CORE 2 DUO DESKTOP PC I wanted to get ReactOS working on.
Does anyone know if this machine would be capable of running ReactOS?
Probably not yet, because the specification is still a little modern, but you are the one to find out if it can run ReactOS.

You will possibly have trouble with USB, but there is a new USB stack in the pipeline, so you will need to keep testing.
Please keep the Windows classic 9x/2000 look and feel.
The layman's guides - debugging - bug reporting - compiling - ISO remaster.
They may help you with a problem, so do have a look at them.
bradleybrand

Post by bradleybrand »

I have managed to get onto the desktop before, but I think it was on some "debug" option. I was asked about Ethernet drivers and obviously couldn't find them online option because that requires internet. I hunted round for them online but couldn't find them. Later it was unresponsive.

Anyways, since then, haven't been able to get ReactOS working again sadly :/

Been trying to reinstall with different settings but been unlucky - stuck on language select screen. I original used English (United Kingdom) so thought I would try English (United States) in case that was an issue.

ReactOS needs a lot of work, but if it ever gets to a point where it's stable enough, would love to have it on some of my old machines.
bradleybrand

Post by bradleybrand »

Apart from crashes, had some more "luck"...

[ external image ]
Fraizeraust

Post by Fraizeraust »

bradleybrand wrote:ReactOS needs a lot of work, but if it ever gets to a point where it's stable enough, would love to have it on some of my old machines.
At this moment ReactOS is a "hit" and "miss" meaning it will work on certain computers while on others don't or not so much. I got ReactOS (BootCD) working only if I choose the Standard PC Processor in the first stage of the setup because the default ACPI Standard Processor results in a complete freezing during boot up - CORE-13914.

But don't worry, your dream will come true but it requires lots of patience. Glad you got ROS working, at least if partially. :D You can support the ReactOS foundation by donating if you want.
a.k.a. GeoB99 -- ReactOS Kernel developer -- My Wiki page
oldman

Post by oldman »

bradleybrand wrote:Apart from crashes, had some more "luck"...
To answer your earlier post; there should not be any trouble using 'English (United Kingdom)', I use it and I have never experienced any trouble.

Your USB mouse and keyboard must work, or at least the keyboard must work if you have been able to install ReactOS. What version are you running in the screenshot?
Please keep the Windows classic 9x/2000 look and feel.
The layman's guides - debugging - bug reporting - compiling - ISO remaster.
They may help you with a problem, so do have a look at them.
Zombiedeth

Post by Zombiedeth »

The biggest holdup really is USB drivers once they are stable and feature complete should be able to see ReactOS booting on many more systems. I have booted it on a number of systems for a few years now but the key thing is they all have ps/2 keyboard and mouse some of them even being only a few years old.