WOW16 Support

Ask your support questions in here

Moderator: Moderator Team

Post Reply
Dominator211
Posts: 5
Joined: Wed Jan 17, 2018 10:15 pm

WOW16 Support

Post by Dominator211 » Wed Jan 17, 2018 10:23 pm

I have a few disks from the Windows 9x era that I would like to try and install on ReactOS but it gets me an error message saying that "WOW16 Applications aren't supported by NTVDM at the moment" is this something that has yet to be implemented into the OS itself or is it something fixable by install and application
ECT: Wine.

Any help would be Nice.

dizt3mp3r
Posts: 1112
Joined: Mon Jun 14, 2010 5:54 pm

Re: WOW16 Support

Post by dizt3mp3r » Wed Jan 17, 2018 10:32 pm

The answer it gave is as succinct and as accurate as I suppose it could possibly be. Give it a while and return and then 16bit applications will run. ReactOS is in Alpha stage at the moment and so a lot of development is required before ReactOS becomes usable.

We should see 16bit programs start running long before then but for the moment, visit here regularly and watch for progress.

Dominator211
Posts: 5
Joined: Wed Jan 17, 2018 10:15 pm

Re: WOW16 Support

Post by Dominator211 » Wed Jan 17, 2018 10:44 pm

dizt3mp3r wrote:The answer it gave is as succinct and as accurate as I suppose it could possibly be. Give it a while and return and then 16bit applications will run. ReactOS is in Alpha stage at the moment and so a lot of development is required before ReactOS becomes usable.

We should see 16bit programs start running long before then but for the moment, visit here regularly and watch for progress.

i figured it was something with the OS no applications can get around this.... OOF

ctasan
Posts: 345
Joined: Mon Feb 24, 2014 7:02 pm
Location: Istanbul, Turkey

Re: WOW16 Support

Post by ctasan » Wed Jan 17, 2018 11:15 pm

Support for 16-bit Windows 3.11 apps is not implemented yet.
Based on your post "9x era" it could be a setup problem. Many 32-bit programs used 16-bit setups in that time. You can look here: http://reactos.org/forum/viewtopic.php?f=22&t=10988

Dominator211
Posts: 5
Joined: Wed Jan 17, 2018 10:15 pm

Re: WOW16 Support

Post by Dominator211 » Wed Jan 17, 2018 11:31 pm

ctasan wrote:Support for 16-bit Windows 3.11 apps is not implemented yet.
Based on your post "9x era" it could be a setup problem. Many 32-bit programs used 16-bit setups in that time. You can look here: http://reactos.org/forum/viewtopic.php?f=22&t=10988
i have disks of office 95,97 and 2000 95's install seems to work the other two dont....

ctasan
Posts: 345
Joined: Mon Feb 24, 2014 7:02 pm
Location: Istanbul, Turkey

Re: WOW16 Support

Post by ctasan » Thu Jan 18, 2018 10:20 pm

Dominator211 wrote:
ctasan wrote:Support for 16-bit Windows 3.11 apps is not implemented yet.
Based on your post "9x era" it could be a setup problem. Many 32-bit programs used 16-bit setups in that time. You can look here: http://reactos.org/forum/viewtopic.php?f=22&t=10988
i have disks of office 95,97 and 2000 95's install seems to work the other two dont....
You can file a bug report then. (Especially for Office 2000, setup is now fully 32 bit and it worked last time I heard.)

ROCKNROLLKID
Posts: 253
Joined: Mon Oct 17, 2016 3:19 am
Contact:

Re: WOW16 Support

Post by ROCKNROLLKID » Fri Jan 19, 2018 12:13 am

ctasan wrote:
Dominator211 wrote:
ctasan wrote:Support for 16-bit Windows 3.11 apps is not implemented yet.
Based on your post "9x era" it could be a setup problem. Many 32-bit programs used 16-bit setups in that time. You can look here: http://reactos.org/forum/viewtopic.php?f=22&t=10988
i have disks of office 95,97 and 2000 95's install seems to work the other two dont....
You can file a bug report then. (Especially for Office 2000, setup is now fully 32 bit and it worked last time I heard.)
File the bug report here: https://jira.reactos.org/secure/Dashboard.jspa

You can use your forum login to login there, too.

Jedi-to-be
Posts: 689
Joined: Sun Mar 16, 2008 11:26 am
Location: Russia, Stavropol
Contact:

Re: WOW16 Support

Post by Jedi-to-be » Fri Aug 10, 2018 11:13 am

Links for guys from superuser.com

1. viewtopic.php?t=10988 Installing 32-bit programs with 16-bit setup launcher stubs
2. viewtopic.php?f=2&t=15623&start=60 16-bit Windows Program Support

Post Reply

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 9 guests