cannot install ReactOS with boot CD

Ask your support questions in here

Moderator: Moderator Team

ThFabba
Developer

Re: cannot install ReactOS with boot CD

Post by ThFabba »

It's possible to get a bootcd with screen debugging, but you have to build your own iso (adding "Options=/DEBUG /DEBUGPORT=SCREEN" at the end of boot/bootdata/bootcd.ini), and it might not work great because people rarely do it.

That's why it'll likely be more fruitful to try the livecd and select the "Screen" option there (and don't select VGA mode). That should hopefully be able to show some diagnostics as it boots up, a photo of which might tell us where it gets stuck.

It's rather unusual for ROS to encounter problems with the graphics driver (because we only use VESA/VGA), but your test with VGA mode indeed points in that direction. Issues there tend to come from the kernel's VM86 mode implementation, which is used to run video BIOS routines while in 32 bit mode. Let's see if screen debugging gives any hints.
phoenix63

Post by phoenix63 »

OK, I'll try live CD in screen mode and keep you posted ;)
phoenix63

Post by phoenix63 »

Right, I went through the "screen" process (loads of code lines) and have now come to the window to either use live CD or install ReactOS.
I tried installing the OS but got the error message : "Userinit failed to start the installer" ; so I've come back to the page offering to use Live or install. No choice there, I selected Live CD and have now got to the desktop.
So what should I now do ? This is good, but would be great if I could install the OS :/
Many thanks
Blitzen_Dóiteán

Post by Blitzen_Dóiteán »

ThFabba wrote:It's possible to get a bootcd with screen debugging, but you have to build your own iso (adding "Options=/DEBUG /DEBUGPORT=SCREEN" at the end of boot/bootdata/bootcd.ini), and it might not work great because people rarely do it.

That's why it'll likely be more fruitful to try the livecd and select the "Screen" option there (and don't select VGA mode). That should hopefully be able to show some diagnostics as it boots up, a photo of which might tell us where it gets stuck.

It's rather unusual for ROS to encounter problems with the graphics driver (because we only use VESA/VGA), but your test with VGA mode indeed points in that direction. Issues there tend to come from the kernel's VM86 mode implementation, which is used to run video BIOS routines while in 32 bit mode. Let's see if screen debugging gives any hints.
What I think ThFabba meant was to take a picture of the code, and or video, so that more debug info could be concluded. ... Please do that and post the screenshots or link to video here. Thank you.
*blank*
phoenix63

Post by phoenix63 »

Oh right, I see ! Well pictures would be blurred, the whole process takes a few seconds only. I'll take a video but how do I post this here ?! :?
mrmajik45

Post by mrmajik45 »

phoenix63 wrote:Oh right, I see ! Well pictures would be blurred, the whole process takes a few seconds only. I'll take a video but how do I post this here ?! :?
Upload it on youtube and give us a link to it
ReactOS Donator ~ $5.00 | Linux Mint Donator ~ $1.00 in BTC
oldman

Post by oldman »

phoenix63 wrote:Oh right, I see ! Well pictures would be blurred, the whole process takes a few seconds only. I'll take a video but how do I post this here ?! :?
If it is not possible to speed up the camcorder, then it will be too blurred to be of use. If you can successfully record the debug output, then make a Jira report and upload it to Jira.

What I would suggest is, install a Linux distro and install VirtualBox VM and use tty0tty with a terminal like putty and save the debug to a file. There is a section in the Layman's Guide that covers tty0tty, also there is instruction in the Wiki about pipes. Take look at this https://www.reactos.org/wiki/VirtualBox
Please keep the Windows classic 9x/2000 look and feel.
The layman's guides - debugging - bug reporting - compiling - ISO remaster.
They may help you with a problem, so do have a look at them.
phoenix63

Post by phoenix63 »

I've managed to film the process OK ; it takes a bit of time to upload to youtube, but I'll post the video as soon as I get the link ; I just hope it will be usable by the ReactOS team

@oldman : you're asking me something a bit complicated for me I'm afraid :(
mrmajik45

Post by mrmajik45 »

I will now skrubskribe to you
phoenix63

Post by phoenix63 »

here is the link : https://youtu.be/JAKlEDOtXo8
mrmajik45

Post by mrmajik45 »

Gonna have to wait to watch the vid...
phoenix63

Post by phoenix63 »

no problem ;) :)
mrmajik45

Post by mrmajik45 »

Have you seen my wiki user page?

https://reactos.org/wiki/User:Mrmajik45
phoenix63

Post by phoenix63 »

mrmajik45 wrote:Have you seen my wiki user page?

https://reactos.org/wiki/User:Mrmajik45
yes
mrmajik45

Post by mrmajik45 »

I hope you know i made those clickable buttons.