Install from CD fails, but copied VM disk works.

Ask your support questions in here

Moderator: Moderator Team

jimbolaya

Install from CD fails, but copied VM disk works.

Post by jimbolaya »

I've tried going through the installation documentation as thoroughly as I can, but I can't figure this out. Maybe the hardware is too new?

I'm running this on an ASRock H97M-ITX/ac with an i5.

I decided to slap an old 500G disk in my desktop to see if I could get 0.4.8 running on actual hardware (instead of just VMs) and I attempted to get it installed using the install CD. However, when it rebooted, I got "Opening hive file failed" with an OK box.

Just to make sure things would run, I stepped back and tried using the live CD and that worked. I then decided to try using my VM disk iimage, which I know works in a VM. I converted it to a raw disk image then copied that to the disk. It booted up fine (though lots of the hardware doesn't seem to work).

During the installation, I picked "quick format". Does that create a valid filesystem from a disk not already formatted as FAT? I was hoping that step would fail if that doesn't work.
oldman

Re: Install from CD fails, but copied VM disk works.

Post by oldman »

jimbolaya wrote:I've tried going through the installation documentation as thoroughly as I can, but I can't figure this out. Maybe the hardware is too new?

I'm running this on an ASRock H97M-ITX/ac with an i5.

I decided to slap an old 500G disk in my desktop to see if I could get 0.4.8 running on actual hardware (instead of just VMs) and I attempted to get it installed using the install CD. However, when it rebooted, I got "Opening hive file failed" with an OK box.

Just to make sure things would run, I stepped back and tried using the live CD and that worked. I then decided to try using my VM disk iimage, which I know works in a VM. I converted it to a raw disk image then copied that to the disk. It booted up fine (though lots of the hardware doesn't seem to work).
Did you, after installing once give up and try the other methods? The reason that I ask is, it sometimes fails, but if you try again it will succeed. From what you have written, it installs, but fails on booting the second time.

What I would suggest is, when you get this error message, do a forced reboot, if that fails, then try a fresh install, but never abandon an installation until it has failled three times.
jimbolaya wrote:During the installation, I picked "quick format". Does that create a valid filesystem from a disk not already formatted as FAT? I was hoping that step would fail if that doesn't work.
I do not know much, if anything, about file systems, but I think a quick format just resets the pointers/markers (or whatever), but does not check for any bad sectors.
Please keep the Windows classic 9x/2000 look and feel.
The layman's guides - debugging - bug reporting - compiling - ISO remaster.
They may help you with a problem, so do have a look at them.
mrmajik45

Post by mrmajik45 »

https://support.wdc.com/knowledgebase/a ... px?ID=1217
When you choose to run a Full Format on a volume (or partition), files are removed from the volume that you are formatting and the hard disk is scanned for bad sectors. The scan for bad sectors is responsible for the majority of the time that it takes to format a volume.
When you choose to run a Quick Format on a volume (or partition), format removes files from the partition, but does not scan the disk for bad sectors.
ReactOS Donator ~ $5.00 | Linux Mint Donator ~ $1.00 in BTC
oldman

Post by oldman »

mrmajik45 wrote:
When you choose to run a Quick Format on a volume (or partition), format removes files from the partition, but does not scan the disk for bad sectors.
I don't think that is strictly true! I refer to the "format removes files from the partition".

There are companies and organisations that can recover data from hard drives. I have recovered an OS after installing over it, with TestDisk
Please keep the Windows classic 9x/2000 look and feel.
The layman's guides - debugging - bug reporting - compiling - ISO remaster.
They may help you with a problem, so do have a look at them.
middings

Post by middings »

A quick Bing search of the web revealed that more than one web site spreads the technically sloppy claim of "Quick Format... removes files from the partition". Those files only appear to be removed because they will no longer be shown in directory listings. However, their data is still on the disk and can be recovered by special software or forensic techniques.

IIRC, Quick Format just marks sectors as unused and does not scan the disk for bad sectors. A full Format marks sectors unused and scans for bad disk sectors. Internet lore says that Microsoft Windows Vista and Microsoft's subsequent versions of Windows write zeroes to the disk when the full Format option is chosen. My guess is that Vista et. al. does this to improve data security.

A true format that truly re-writes the entire disk with new tracks is no longer performed on modern disk drives. These drives have high-precision servo tracks that are written at the factory. This technique increases disk capacity. These servo tracks cannot be re-written in the field if they are erased. Erasing the servo tracks ruins the drive.
jimbolaya

Post by jimbolaya »

oldman wrote: Did you, after installing once give up and try the other methods? The reason that I ask is, it sometimes fails, but if you try again it will succeed. From what you have written, it installs, but fails on booting the second time.
I only tried twice. Next time I'll try three times.

It's not a big deal as I now have a functioning install (as much as it is). Certainly something to play with for now.