Can't install 4.10 Live or Bootable

Ask your support questions in here

Moderator: Moderator Team

demag

Can't install 4.10 Live or Bootable

Post by demag »

Hello first post.
I saw Reactos last night on Understanding Computers on YouTube and was immediately interested.
I run a homebuilt computer with a number of hdd's, mainly Linux and one copy of Win10 which I use solely for game playing as I don't trust it for anything else.
I have a spare hdd so tried to do an install but it hangs. Looking at debug it stops at drivers\disk.
The live version stops the same.
Now I have a fairly speedy pc so maybe it just doesn't like my setup.

Asrock 990extreme MB
16gig ram
AMD 8 core cpu
It runs at about 4 ghz.

My head is awful and I forget stuff in an instant so if you need any more info I'll write it down so as not to forget.
Apologies in advance.

Dave.
demag

Re: Can't install 4.10 Live or Bootable

Post by demag »

Just a quick update before bed (past midnight here)
Working with the 4.10 nightly build Live version I go for the "Screen" option and yes loads of stuff scrolling up the screen and then it hangs as you say but I can't type BT, nothing happens. What I will do tomorrow is take a pic of the screen when it hangs in the hope that will help.

Oh pc is SATA.
Also I am booting in legacy not uefi because at the time my Linux distros wouldn't support uefi but I think they do now. But to switch to uefi means a Windows re-install which I don't want to do.

Hope this helps.

Dave.
Blitzen_Dóiteán

Post by Blitzen_Dóiteán »

1. Are there P/S 2 ports on your computer/ and or are you using USB keyboard/mouse? Support of USB is a little fragile at the moment.

2. ReactOS does not currently support UEFI, so you should leave that on the Legacy setting.

3. Dual Booting is ... sketchy and not recommended.

4. ReactOS currently only supports FAT32 and some NTFS partitioning. (Please install on a FAT.)

5. If you can't get to work at all you can start a JIRA issue, the username and password are the same there as for this forum.

P.S. Try booting several times! ReactOS has this weird way of booting properly on the 3rd or 4th attempt sometimes in certain cases.

If this does not work for you, you can always try ReactOS in a virtual machine like VMWare or Oracle's Virtual Box .
*blank*
demag

Post by demag »

Ah thanks Blitzen,
Yes usb mouse and keyboard doh!
I have a ps2 keyboard, not sure about mouse but will look and report back.
At the moment I will just concentrate on the Live boot. I'm sure if I can get that to work the install version will be easier.

Many thanks.
karlexceed

Post by karlexceed »

As fun and interesting as trying to get ROS running on real hardware can be, if you just want to toy around with it, a VM is definitely the way to go.
mrmajik45

Post by mrmajik45 »

Plug in ONLY the PS-2 Keyboard, start the bootCD, install the OS, boot off the Hard Drive, AFTER it fully starts up, plug in your usb mouse. (Unplug your usb mouse everytime before you turn on the pc. Then after it starts up, plug in your usb mouse)
ReactOS Donator ~ $5.00 | Linux Mint Donator ~ $1.00 in BTC