How far is real life virtual box support?

Ask your support questions in here

Moderator: Moderator Team

Panopticom

How far is real life virtual box support?

Post by Panopticom »

Hello,

I was trying to install ReactOS on my ThinkPad T430s (3rd gen Intel), worked so far but no drivers for Ethernet, WiFi, USB worked.

I was wondering about VM support. Which would be the best VM and can you run Windows (XP or 7) in a VM on ROS? Do drivers work inside a VM? Practically can I overcome the limit of connectivity with Windows in a VM, so I can download some apps?
karlexceed

Re: How far is real life virtual box support?

Post by karlexceed »

You're asking about which hypervisors are supported to run on top of ROS?
Panopticom

Post by Panopticom »

Yes, I just realized that Virtualbox is one specific VM, so which one is the most compatible with ROS?
karlexceed

Post by karlexceed »

Well, I know that bochs is included in the RAPPs app manager. I also know that the latest VirtualBox does NOT install on ROS. Beyond that, I can only advise you to search the wiki, the forum, JIRA, or to test them yourself.

As to your other question about overcoming the limitations of driver support... If you're running ROS as a VM (not a VM on ROS): Yes, the virtual hardware that the most popular hypervisors offer will generally be able to work with ROS. That is if you configure the VM properly while setting it up. For example, my ROS VM running on VirtualBox has an emulated PCnet-FAST III (Am79C973) as a network device. It has no problem accessing the internet, downloading files, etc.

As I said to someone else recently - currently the best ROS experience is going to be in a VM.
Panopticom

Post by Panopticom »

Progress so far:

Install of ROS on a real Thinkpad T430s
Install of QEMU and Qemu-manager successful in ROS
Installing real WinXP CD in QEMU but it stops (or it doesn't accept any key input) after 'press Enter to install WinXP', just no reaction but QEMU has not crashed I believe

Any ideas? Keyboard doesn't work or incompatibility?