Doesn't get further than the language choice page...

Ask your support questions in here

Moderator: Moderator Team

Wimsomnia

Doesn't get further than the language choice page...

Post by Wimsomnia »

Hi,

First of all, I am new to Reactos so I haven't used it yet.

I downloaded Reactos Boot CD (0.4.9) from the download link on the main page and burned the ISO-file to a DVD.

When booting from the DVD, the first thing I saw was a blue screen/ white text page where I could choose a language
by using the arrow keys and then press enter. It was prepositioned at English(United States) but I couldn't move
to another language at all. When I pressed enter anyway, nothing happened. Pressing F3 should "quit" but when
I tried that, same result: no reaction. I tried booting 3 times, same result.

Then I downloaded "reactos-bootcd-0.4.10-dev-412-g4e32ad3-x86-gcc-lin-dbg.7z" from the nightly build page and
burned that version to a DVD. Completely the same result as the first try.

Where can I download another (maybe earlier) version which might work?
And if that would be possible, can I update that earlier version to the most
recent one from within the installed version?

Or is there another possible solution?

Thanks in advance for any reaction and greetings from Belgium!!

************************************************************************************************************************************
EDIT: I installed the same 0.4.9 ISO file mentioned above in Virtualbox and it works fine....

************************************************************************************************************************************
Description of my computer:

Operating System
Windows 10 Pro 64-bit
CPU
AMD A10-7860K 107 °C
Godavari 28nm Technology
RAM
8,00GB Single-Channel DDR3 @ 798MHz (10-10-10-30)
Motherboard
ASRock FM2A78M-HD+ R2.0 (CPUSocket) 53 °C
Graphics
U28E590 (2560x1440@29Hz)
1024MB ATI AMD Radeon R7 Graphics (ASRock) 56 °C
Storage
465GB TOSHIBA DT01ACA050 ATA Device (SATA) 34 °C
698GB Crucial_CT750MX300SSD1 (SSD) 37 °C
256GB Crucial_CT275MX300SSD1 (SSD) 37 °C
931GB Seagate ST310003 33AS USB Device (USB)
Optical Drives
ATAPI iHAS124 F
Audio
Realtek High Definition Audio
*************************************************************************************************************************************
Julcar

Re: Doesn't get further than the language choice page...

Post by Julcar »

At a quick review I can give you two possible reasons:

1) Your keyboard is USB and isn't recognized by ReactOS
2) You are triggering an assertion

If you are using a PS/2 keyboard then it is the assertion
Wimsomnia

Post by Wimsomnia »

Thanks Julcar for answering so fast!

My keyboard is indeed plugged in with a USB-cable.

What do you mean by assertion? My native language is Dutch and
when I looked it up, the meaning would be something like "statement",
nothing I can refer to concerning computers...

Is there a way around the USB-thing? You'll understand that I am not
going to buy another keyboard just because of this....
dizt3mp3r

Post by dizt3mp3r »

Well you will need to if you want to test ReactOS any further on your hardware assuming that is what you want to do, ie. test.

I would revert to testing it in virtualbox and/or wait until a stable build with the whole functioning USB stack.
Skillset: VMS,DOS,Windows Sysadmin from 1985, fault-tolerance, VaxCluster, Alpha,Sparc. DCL,QB,VBDOS- VB6,.NET, PHP,NODE.JS, Graphic Design, Project Manager, CMS, Quad Electronics. classic cars & m'bikes. Artist in water & oils. Historian.
Julcar

Post by Julcar »

Wimsomnia wrote: Sun Aug 05, 2018 10:09 am Thanks Julcar for answering so fast!

My keyboard is indeed plugged in with a USB-cable.

What do you mean by assertion? My native language is Dutch and
when I looked it up, the meaning would be something like "statement",
nothing I can refer to concerning computers...

Is there a way around the USB-thing? You'll understand that I am not
going to buy another keyboard just because of this....
Well, an assertion is a debug situation where the system hits an error and waits for a command, otherwise it would be a BSOD, but in your case I am almost sure the problem is with your keyboard, as the USB support is very very limited by the moment...

There are some ways to workaround the issue, one of them is pass the 1st stage in a VM connected to your physical hard drive, so, after closing the VM you can reboot and start ReactOS directly on the 2nd stage, where are more possibilities your keyboard would be working. This can be performed from Windows, but is better do it from Linux, as Windows can be a bit tricky.

The other option is find an old PS/2 keyboard (of course if your motherboard has support for it).
middings

Post by middings »

Wimsomnia wrote: Sun Aug 05, 2018 10:09 amWhat do you mean by assertion?
As Julcar used the word "assertion" earlier, it is a technical term in computer programming. The use of assertions is a technique used to check that the software is operating correctly during runtime. I gave the Bing search engine the string "computer programming assertion" and it found this description of 'assertion' in Wikipedia. I believe this part of the Wikipedia article, "some programs check assertions by actually evaluating the predicate as they run and if it is not in fact true, an assertion failure, the program considers itself to be broken and typically deliberately crashes or throws an assertion failure exception" describes what Julcar meant.
Is there a way around the USB-thing?
The article Installing ReactOS in the ReactOS Wiki describes two workarounds, (1) run ReactOS inside a virtual machine (VM) in order to have the VM translate the PCs keyboard and mouse signals into a form acceptable to ReactOS or (2) use a copy of ReactOS with an experimental USB software stack written by 'vgal'.
Wimsomnia

Post by Wimsomnia »

There are some ways to workaround the issue, one of them is pass the 1st stage in a VM connected to your physical hard drive, so, after closing the VM you can reboot and start ReactOS directly on the 2nd stage, where are more possibilities your keyboard would be working. This can be performed from Windows, but is better do it from Linux, as Windows can be a bit tricky.
I installed Virtual Box on Linux Mint which is on the same HDD where I want to install ReactOS.
But I don't know how to begin installing in Virtual Box and then referring or changing the installation
to the actual HDD.
Julcar

Post by Julcar »

Wimsomnia wrote: Sun Aug 05, 2018 12:14 pm
I installed Virtual Box on Linux Mint which is on the same HDD where I want to install ReactOS.
But I don't know how to begin installing in Virtual Box and then referring or changing the installation
to the actual HDD.
You need to set in the VM config the hard disk to use /dev/sda and boot from reactos iso
Wimsomnia

Post by Wimsomnia »

I decided to keep it in Virtual Box for now and see what happens in the future.

Thanks to all of you for helping me out!!