Compatibility

Ask your support questions in here

Moderator: Moderator Team

marcin1

Compatibility

Post by marcin1 »

Hello!
I am following ReactOS since I was in a secondary school. I saw a new version announcement and read there :
"Mark has added the ability for ReactOS to present itself as Windows 8.1 with the Version APIs".
I would like to ask if it is possible to switch that presentation wherever or it was forced for a entire situation ?
Unfortunately a lot of programs is not compatible with xp/2003 so it won't run on ReactOS. I mean newest Firefox, chrome or Opera. It requires at least windows 7.
Regards
Julcar

Re: Compatibility

Post by Julcar »

When a program or setup requires a specific windows version, reactos changes its identity on the fly to meet the requirements
marcin1

Post by marcin1 »

Does it work in final 0.4.9 ?
I tried it on VirtualBox and when I try to run a newest firefox installer - it says that system is not supported and after clicking OK nothing appears.
learn_more
Developer

Post by learn_more »

Julcar wrote: Wed Aug 08, 2018 3:30 am When a program or setup requires a specific windows version, reactos changes its identity on the fly to meet the requirements
No.

It works the same as on windows:
Context menu of the application (or shortcut) you select compatibility mode.
marcin1

Post by marcin1 »

learn_more wrote: Thu Aug 09, 2018 6:36 pm
Julcar wrote: Wed Aug 08, 2018 3:30 am When a program or setup requires a specific windows version, reactos changes its identity on the fly to meet the requirements
No.

It works the same as on windows:
Context menu of the application (or shortcut) you select compatibility mode.
It works, thank you !