Is Reactos available in 64 bits?

Ask your support questions in here

Moderator: Moderator Team

vikasaldana

Is Reactos available in 64 bits?

Post by vikasaldana »

When I went on Reactos' website to download an iso for testing purpose on a virtual machine I noticed that there were no choice for the type of iso, like, I mean there was just a standalone download link that would redirect to sourceforge, so I expected that the iso was only available in 64 bits, but to my surprise, the operating system could run in a 32 bits environment which means the iso installed a 32 bits OS. If I tried to install a Windows 10 in a 32 bits environment, the installation process will immediately fail. Also, I have no idea if I have to compile the iso myself to get a 64 bits OS or if the iso that I downloaded earlier can actually install a 64 bits iso, but I did not notice it because there were no notice to inform the user.

So my worries is that since most of the stuff I download is in 64 bits and if the OS is not supporting 64 bits I can't move all the stuff from my PC to ReactOS, as I'd like to avoid Windows 10 at all costs (this OS is a living spyware).

I hope that there's an actual 64 bits version and hopefully I will not have to wait to get it. If there's no 64 bits version by 2020, I will either have: To stick with Windows 7, despite the fact that it will be vulnerable to exploits, use a 64 bits linux computer with Wine installed on it, despite the fact that translating Windows' binaries to POSIX is more CPU consuming than simply having no second compatibility layer and have the computer understand everything directly (I also believe that Linux is kinda hard to use since you'll have to know how to use bash) or I'll have to use Windows 10 even though I hate it.
binarymaster

Re: Is Reactos available in 64 bits?

Post by binarymaster »

EmuandCo
Developer

Post by EmuandCo »

And check my sig, too
ReactOS is still in alpha stage, meaning it is not feature-complete and is recommended only for evaluation and testing purposes.

If my post/reply offends or insults you, be sure that you know what sarcasm is...
dizt3mp3r

Post by dizt3mp3r »

Why the hell, when you type "what is reactos?" into a search engine, does every single page, wiki or website still FAIL to state in VERY BIG LETTERS that ReactOS is in ALPHA and NOT USABLE IN ITS CURRENT STATE?

It is unbelievable that the new(ish) site still does not declare this one vital fact. The Wikis also need a one-line update to this effect, very near the top, not hidden away in the bottom somewhere.

Adding statements to this effect would prevent posts like this from even being raised and prevent ReactOS receiving a bad press from all those that try it only to find it does not work for them in any way. This is really frustrating for the poor potential users and for those that keep shouting loud for this to happen.
Skillset: VMS,DOS,Windows Sysadmin from 1985, fault-tolerance, VaxCluster, Alpha,Sparc. DCL,QB,VBDOS- VB6,.NET, PHP,NODE.JS, Graphic Design, Project Manager, CMS, Quad Electronics. classic cars & m'bikes. Artist in water & oils. Historian.
hbelusca
Developer

Post by hbelusca »

dizt3mp3r wrote: Mon Aug 27, 2018 11:59 am Why the hell, when you type "what is reactos?" into a search engine, does every single page, wiki or website still FAIL to state in VERY BIG LETTERS that ReactOS is in ALPHA and NOT USABLE IN ITS CURRENT STATE?

It is unbelievable that the new(ish) site still does not declare this one vital fact. The Wikis also need a one-line update to this effect, very near the top, not hidden away in the bottom somewhere.

Adding statements to this effect would prevent posts like this from even being raised and prevent ReactOS receiving a bad press from all those that try it only to find it does not work for them in any way. This is really frustrating for the poor potential users and for those that keep shouting loud for this to happen.
Hopefully the *new* website can do it:
https://github.com/ColinFinck/web-content
mockup at: https://colinfinck.github.io/
dizt3mp3r

Post by dizt3mp3r »

Excuse my outburst - it just frustrates me when potential users are let down by incorrect or incomplete information.

Thankyou for the information re: the new potential site. It seems that it is reversing the trend of the current site (more of a marketing tool) back somewhat to what it used to be before. No criticism, I am just surprised that is the intended direction.

I do like the the current new(ish) site, it gives an impression of professionalism but it also gives a false impression of capability and usability. I feel it just needs some choice words in a prominent position. Then it would at least be telling the full story rather than just part of it.

Leading potential users astray is a big mistake, they won't come back.
Skillset: VMS,DOS,Windows Sysadmin from 1985, fault-tolerance, VaxCluster, Alpha,Sparc. DCL,QB,VBDOS- VB6,.NET, PHP,NODE.JS, Graphic Design, Project Manager, CMS, Quad Electronics. classic cars & m'bikes. Artist in water & oils. Historian.