VirtualBox Support

Ask your support questions in here

Moderator: Moderator Team

johnsageek

VirtualBox Support

Post by johnsageek »

Hi, I am new to the community before I start out I am truly excited about this project. In my opinion, the ReactOS project has the greatest potential to break some gridlock in the WinTel space in technology. I am not a hardcore NT coder, but I am in the engineering space. I will get to that in another post. First things first, I need some guidance, also I have not been able to absorb all the documentation, as it is. I am using Oracle VirtualBox VManager v 5.2.02 and have been attempting to complete an install. I have been able to initialize the OS itself, but I have not been able to install the VirtualBox extension pack to completion. My question is..
  • Is VirtualBox a supported platform for installing ReactOS?
  • And if not, are there plans to bring this platform support to ReactOS?
Thank you in advance and I look forward to a successful outcome!
EmuandCo
Developer

Re: VirtualBox Support

Post by EmuandCo »

Yes, it is supported and the VBox Extension Pack is to be installed on host. You mean the Guest Extensions I guess? These should work, too btw. WHat problems do you have? Best you generate a few log files and then we will see. (https://reactos.org/wiki/Debugging)
ReactOS is still in alpha stage, meaning it is not feature-complete and is recommended only for evaluation and testing purposes.

If my post/reply offends or insults you, be sure that you know what sarcasm is...
johnsageek

Post by johnsageek »

Will do. I am off for these next few days. This is when I get to "Geek out" :ugeek: :ugeek:
StageMan

Need VirtualBox Help/Support

Post by StageMan »

Hello, I'm new to ReactOS. I just download it. I have 25 years in IT. I bumped into ReactOS on YouTube. I've watched several YouTube videos on ReactOS.
I'm very hopeful. I'm fed up with Microsoft. I'm running Windows 10 Version 1909 Build 18363.
I want to try ReactOS, but on Oracle's VM VirtualBox 6.1.6 (current version).
Setting up a VM on VirtualBox seems reasonably straight forward. VirtualBox uses a Wizard to setup the VM. It requires two answers that I don't.
That's why I'm here.
The first question is VirtualBox wants to know is...the "Type of OS" with a drop down menu that has 7 choices.
1) Microsoft Windows
2) Linux
3) Solaris
4) BSD
5) IBM OS/2
6) Mac OSX
7) Other
I'm assuming it will be either Windows or Linux.
The next question VirtualBox wants to know is the Version of the OS.
The Microsoft Windows drop down menu list has every version of their OSs . From Windows 3.1 all the way up to Windows 10... 32 bit and 64 bit.
Linux has a bunch of Distros. From Linux 2.1, Arch, Debian, Fedora, Gentoo, Mandriva, Oracle, Red Hat, Suse, TurboLinux, Ubuntu, Xandros and Other.

What Type of OS do I choose?, and what Version of the OS do I choose?

Thank You.
I'll be looking forward to your reply.
With Regards,
StageMan/Chris
EmuandCo
Developer

Post by EmuandCo »

Windows Server 2003 (32 bit)
ReactOS is still in alpha stage, meaning it is not feature-complete and is recommended only for evaluation and testing purposes.

If my post/reply offends or insults you, be sure that you know what sarcasm is...
twsparkle

Post by twsparkle »

I have 16:9 black screen in 64-bit 0.4.14 and 0.4.15 livecd nightly builds after ROS loads files and tries to boot. Can it be fixed?
VirtualBox 6.0.4
binarymaster

Post by binarymaster »

twsparkle wrote: Sat May 30, 2020 1:50 pm I have 16:9 black screen in 64-bit 0.4.14 and 0.4.15 livecd nightly builds after ROS loads files and tries to boot. Can it be fixed?
VirtualBox 6.0.4
64-bit build is not bootable yet, don't even try it, unless you know how to build from source and from separate branches.
MadWolf

Post by MadWolf »

johnsageek wrote: Sat Oct 27, 2018 2:25 pm Hi, I am new to the community before I start out I am truly excited about this project. In my opinion, the ReactOS project has the greatest potential to break some gridlock in the WinTel space in technology. I am not a hardcore NT coder, but I am in the engineering space. I will get to that in another post. First things first, I need some guidance, also I have not been able to absorb all the documentation, as it is. I am using Oracle VirtualBox VManager v 5.2.02 and have been attempting to complete an install. I have been able to initialize the OS itself, but I have not been able to install the VirtualBox extension pack to completion. My question is..
  • Is VirtualBox a supported platform for installing ReactOS?
  • And if not, are there plans to bring this platform support to ReactOS?
Thank you in advance and I look forward to a successful outcome!
the last time i have installed the Virtualbox guest additions in ReactOS the system becomes unbootable