Installation Hang

Ask your support questions in here

Moderator: Moderator Team

jasonsgroovemachine

Installation Hang

Post by jasonsgroovemachine »

I've been wanting to try this out for a while so I dug out an older computer I've got that I think React would be perfect for... the problem is that I can't actually do anything with it. I can't run off a live cd, I get a BSOD no matter what I try, so I thought I'd just install it and see how that goes but I can't get past the language selection screen there. It's either locked up or it's not recognizing my usb keyboard anymore.

Has anyone else experienced anything like this?

I am using the latest version 0.4.9, I've got the iso burned onto a disc, though I did try and boot from UBS and had the same experience. I can't get you any spec on the PC other than it's an older HP desktop with an intel chipset if I remember correctly.

Any help is appreciated.
middings

Re: Installation Hang

Post by middings »

Hello jasonsgroovemachine. Thank you for experimenting with ReactOS and reporting your results here in the ReactOS Support forum.

I suppose you have already read [ReadThis]ReactOS doesn't work in my computer!! (it is the first topic in the Support forum) because you told us which release you are using, that you are using the Live CD version, that you burned the ReactOS iso file onto a CD, and you told us a little bit about your PC.

I suspect that ReactOS is not compatible with USB devices attached to your HP (model number unknown) brand PC. At this time ReactOS's USB stack is very rough and does not work with most USB devices including USB keyboards and mice. Failing at the language selection screen is often a symptom of this deficiency in the current state of ReactOS's development. ReactOS is still alpha level software. Try removing all USB devices and use a PS/2 style keyboard or mouse during installation. If your HP PC is old enough it may still have PS/2 keyboard and mouse ports. Sometimes a USB keyboard may be plugged in and used after ReactOS's installation is complete. Others here have more experience with that than I do.
jasonsgroovemachine

Re: Installation Hang

Post by jasonsgroovemachine »

To be honest, I didn't read that at all. When I was searching I may have narrowed my issue down a bit too much. I will take a look at it now.

I had assumed that USB was going to be the issue since it seemed to be both my wired and wireless keyboards and that it didn't seem to matter what jack I was plugged into.

I may have to do some digging to track down a ps2 keyboard. I don't think I own any at the moment.

I appreciate the help. Thanks very much.