Noob question - how should I install ReactOS?

Ask your support questions in here

Moderator: Moderator Team

onestop_mid

Noob question - how should I install ReactOS?

Post by onestop_mid »

Small story before you answer - I have an Asus TP500LA as my main laptop, and an eMachines E627 (with 4GB RAM upgrade and 256gb SSD, otherwise stock). My main laptop does not have a CD or DVD drive, and though my E627 does, I do not have any CDs or DVDs I can use. I do have multiple USB sticks. I need to know any ways I can install ReactOS on my E627. If anyone knows how to install ReactOS either over USB or possibly with virtualization and copying to the hard disk somehow, that would be amazing. Please help me.
dizt3mp3r

Re: Noob question - how should I install ReactOS?

Post by dizt3mp3r »

For testing, you are going to need a CD. USB boot is on the way but not yet a stable reality. There are some threads here about getting USB to function but the daily ReactOS release will not yet give you that.

Testing on real hardware is often fruitless and results in dissatisfaction if your aim is to have ReactOS to actually run. If you just want to see the results of a test and you will be happy with a negative result then please go ahead and purchase that CD drive.

At this stage, for real testing, install ReactOS on a VM and test it there. Hold onto the hardware for that time when ReactOS is more stable, installable and /or usable.
Skillset: VMS,DOS,Windows Sysadmin from 1985, fault-tolerance, VaxCluster, Alpha,Sparc. DCL,QB,VBDOS- VB6,.NET, PHP,NODE.JS, Graphic Design, Project Manager, CMS, Quad Electronics. classic cars & m'bikes. Artist in water & oils. Historian.
binarymaster

Post by binarymaster »

You could also try this one: https://vk.com/wall-1086956_66392

It's unofficial ReactOS 0.4.10 hard drive FAT32 image that can be flashed onto your HDD via DiskImage.
onestop_mid

Post by onestop_mid »

binarymaster wrote: Fri Nov 09, 2018 11:57 am You could also try this one: https://vk.com/wall-1086956_66392

It's unofficial ReactOS 0.4.10 hard drive FAT32 image that can be flashed onto your HDD via DiskImage.
Thank you, just what I was looking for!