RosBE questions

Ask your support questions in here

Moderator: Moderator Team

oldman

RosBE questions

Post by oldman »

(a) What software does RosBE use to create an ISO image?
(b) Can this software be used independently of RosBE?

What I want to do is, unpack a bootcd ISO, then alter a file and repack it as a bootable ISO. I have used 7zip to unpack and IsoCreator to pack it into a ISO file, but it does not seem to boot.

If I change the file in the source code and then compile, I can boot the ISO image.

Thanks in advance for any help or suggestions.
Please keep the Windows classic 9x/2000 look and feel.
The layman's guides - debugging - bug reporting - compiling - ISO remaster.
They may help you with a problem, so do have a look at them.
learn_more
Developer

Re: RosBE questions

Post by learn_more »

(a) mkisofs.exe
(b) I have a slightly different usecase, but what I do to create an iso with my testdata is this:

Code: Select all

R:\build\master\msvc\host-tools\mkisofs.exe -no-cache-inodes -iso-level 4 -volid TestData -o %~dp0\shared_data.iso %~dp0\data
This script is in the same dir that the iso will end up, and is next to a folder 'data' that contains the actual test data.
middings

unpack modify repack BootCD ISO

Post by middings »

Another commonly proposed use case is adding files to the ReactOS BootCD so they are available on the ReactOS Desktop (or in a specified folder) after ReactOS itself is installed. I would use such a feature as a workaround for the inability of ReactOS to use the file I/O devices on many computers because the drivers will not install, incompatible interfaces, or for other reasons.
learn_more
Developer

Re: unpack modify repack BootCD ISO

Post by learn_more »

middings wrote: Sun Dec 30, 2018 3:20 am Another commonly proposed use case is adding files to the ReactOS BootCD so they are available on the ReactOS Desktop (or in a specified folder) after ReactOS itself is installed. I would use such a feature as a workaround for the inability of ReactOS to use the file I/O devices on many computers because the drivers will not install, incompatible interfaces, or for other reasons.
modules/3rdparty exists for that, it will get dropped in reactos/3rdparty after install
modules/bootcd_extras is for data that is 'added' to the bootcd,
modules/livecd_extras is for the livecd, etc
middings

Post by middings »

Thank you, learn_more, for pointing out those directories.
oldman

Post by oldman »

I have still yet to find a solution to altering a file in an ISO image. I have no problems with the source, only with the ISO images.

If I extract the contents of the ISO to the hard drive with 7zip and then alter a file, when I recreate the ISO, it will not boot.

If I use readcd from cdrtools to extract the contents from the cd to a file on the hard drive, then open the file with 7zip and alter a file with Notepad++, when I come to save it back to the extracted cd file, I find that it is read only, so I cannot save the altered file.

I believe that it is possible to do what I am attempting, in a Unix OS, but I have not found a way so far in Windows.

Anyone got any ideas, suggestions, etc. Thanks.

EDIT:
I have found a tutorial to build a bootable ISO using ImgBurn, but the recreated ISO only started to boot, then dropped back to the BIOS. So I must be doing something wrong. But it looks like I have found a solution to my problem. Thanks.
Please keep the Windows classic 9x/2000 look and feel.
The layman's guides - debugging - bug reporting - compiling - ISO remaster.
They may help you with a problem, so do have a look at them.